Whenever alt is pressed it presses x aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelicCore

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Hello
I've got V3-571G Acer Aspire and have a silly and annoying problem.
I've noticed for a few days now that whenever i press alt it is as if i pressed the X key, and the right alt does the same except it detects the Z key.

I thought it was just a keyboard driver problem or something so removed Acer's Windows 7 which came stock and installed Windows 8.

The problem is still there.
Whenever i press Alt-tab for example it does Alt-tab but not before typing an X into whatever application is running(notepad, window address bar, chrome address bar, etc)

Anyone faced this before?

Solution
They don't need to be next to each other - keyboards use a matrix of multiplexed lines to detect keypresses. This means all sorts of weird stuff can happen when there's a problem like a spillage. In fact, what you describe sounds exactly like that kind of problem! :)

if it a desktop keyboard then there food or a spill that glued the two keys together. if it a laptop keyboard...could be a spill or the keyboard trace in that spot went bad.

I would also guess that gunk has gotten into the keyboard. These traces are not exactly gunk proof.

If you look at how most dome style keyboards work.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology

If you are good at opening things, you may be able to fix it. laptop keyboards are insanely thin so take your time.

If you are not into that, see if you can get a new one from Acer, even at a cost it is cheaper then replacing a computer.

AngelicCore

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
i am not sure that it might be spillage because the two keys aren't near each other and the space button that is in the middle is working properly.
So seemed quite weird that only ALT is broken and both of it at that.

Anyways i'll try to open it and see for myself.

Thanks guys for the help :)

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
They don't need to be next to each other - keyboards use a matrix of multiplexed lines to detect keypresses. This means all sorts of weird stuff can happen when there's a problem like a spillage. In fact, what you describe sounds exactly like that kind of problem! :)

Solution

AngelicCore

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Hmm,
last night i opened the laptop and sprayed it full of the electronics cleaner spray.
I couldn't pry open the keyboard but i reinserted the connection etc

the problem is still there, if there is anything more i can do please tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.