please advise....on a graphics card

G

could someone give me some insight? I have 96mb RAM on my machine. I'm looking to buy a new graphics card, $150-200 price range. Ive seen mixed reviews of the ATI Radeon cards. Has anyone run the ATI Rage Fury Maxx 64mb card?I play NASCAR 4 and do alot of CAD work. ANy ideas on a good card in that price range?

Should I increase my memory and buy a maybe a 32mb card, or concentrate on a 64mb card?

thanks for your info!

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
You do CAD work on that machine? Wheew... For a range of 150-200 bucks I'd get a Geforce2 GTS 32MB DDR. Make sure to overclock it.

- "That's no moon, it's Rambus!"

mpjesse

Splendid
Tempus's advise is solid. Be advised though, you can get a GeForce Pro for the same price as a GTS. You might want to wait for the release of the GeForce 3 to see if The GF2 Ultra drops in price to under $200. STAY AWAY from the Rage 128 Fury MAXX- it's a piece of junk. The Radeon cards aren't bad- just make sure it's the DDR version.

-MP Jesse

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Cad work also requires the best 2d as in sharp and clear. So if you pick a GF2 line make sure the 2d is up to snuff like the ELSA Gladiac line of cards. Radeon 2d is top notch and clear. Now if you work in W2k also beware that the Radeon Directx in W2k is not that good but OpenGL is just as good as in Win9x. Mayber you can try out the different cards at a local computer store or show. Good luck.

G

That's some wild stuff, I assumed there was a mistake but it's not! I saw the eVGA GF2 pro from 3 different places at an insainly low price. Anyone know if there's some sort of catch? Kinda wierd eVGA doesn't sell a regular GTS, only pro and ultra. (looked @ their site)