Windows XP SP2 install

I have tried installing the service pack 2 for windows XP from both the
internet and from a CD that Microsoft sent me. My problem is when it gets to
the point where it says "backing up registry" it acts like it timed out. It
won't do anything more and I have to do an alt+ct+del to turn it off. Any
ideas? Bad registry?
2 answers Last reply
More about windows install

    "dslemon" <dslemon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have tried installing the service pack 2 for windows XP from both the
    > internet and from a CD that Microsoft sent me. My problem is when it gets
    > the point where it says "backing up registry" it acts like it timed out.
    It
    > won't do anything more and I have to do an alt+ct+del to turn it off. Any
    > ideas? Bad registry?

    have a look here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

    HTH

    I couldn't find anything there to help me in my situation. Any other ideas?

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > "dslemon" <dslemon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have tried installing the service pack 2 for windows XP from both the
    > > internet and from a CD that Microsoft sent me. My problem is when it gets
    > > the point where it says "backing up registry" it acts like it timed out.
    > It
    > > won't do anything more and I have to do an alt+ct+del to turn it off. Any
    > > ideas? Bad registry?
    >
    > have a look here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2
    >
    > HTH