Driver Download from MS Updated causes SNAFU! HELP!

SCPO

Shipmates,

I probably should know more about this, but I don't... So, please bear
with me.

Recently, I "tried" to update my audio driver via the Microsoft Update
Page. The driver in question was: C-Media AC97 Audio Device manufacted by
C Media Electronics Incorporation. The driver installed fine and I
rebooted only to find I had no sound. I checked my hardware and, yup,
there was the big yellow question mark - device not working. I checked a
few things and tried a few things. But nothing fixed the problem and I
eventually rolled back the driver. So, it's ok now.

I then tried to find out what the conflict might be.

My system says it has a: Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device (which I
believe is built into the motherboard) manufactered by Microsoft. The
current driver is: Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM) manufactured by
VIA Technologies, Inc.

What this tells me is: that the Microsoft Update Page is trying to
download the wrong driver, by the wrong manufacturer to my 'puter.
Anyone have any thoughts???

I tried to give some feed back to Microsoft about this problem, but they
don't seem to respond to this sort of problem. Or just don't care! Or
both!

I have also tried to illicit some feedback from both C Media Electronics
Incorporation and VIA Technologies, Inc. without any success.

Thanks for any and all help!

Fairwinds and following seas,

Senior Chief

"Man's humanity to man is only exceeded by man's inhumanity to man."

SCPO,
I matey, I never let WinUpdate install drivers. Always go to the
hardware manufacturer, download and install.
I'd go to your motherboard manufacturers website for this kind of
update.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

Gordon

"SCPO" <SCPO@usn.com> wrote in message
> Anyone have any thoughts???

Yes. NEVER use Microsoft Windows update to update device drivers - ALWAYS
get them from the manufacturers site.

SCPO

"Gordon"

> Yes. NEVER use Microsoft Windows update to update device drivers - ALWAYS
> get them from the manufacturers site.
>

> Thanks - but that, even though it might be true, is not very helpful!

Senior Chief

"SCPO" <SCPO@usn.com> wrote in message
> Shipmates,
>
> I probably should know more about this, but I don't... So, please bear
> with me.
>
> Recently, I "tried" to update my audio driver via the Microsoft Update
> Page. The driver in question was: C-Media AC97 Audio Device manufacted by
> C Media Electronics Incorporation. The driver installed fine and I
> rebooted only to find I had no sound. I checked my hardware and, yup,
> there was the big yellow question mark - device not working. I checked a
> few things and tried a few things. But nothing fixed the problem and I
> eventually rolled back the driver. So, it's ok now.
>
> I then tried to find out what the conflict might be.
>
> My system says it has a: Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device (which I
> believe is built into the motherboard) manufactered by Microsoft. The
> current driver is: Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM) manufactured by
> VIA Technologies, Inc.
>
> What this tells me is: that the Microsoft Update Page is trying to
> download the wrong driver, by the wrong manufacturer to my 'puter.
> Anyone have any thoughts???
>
> I tried to give some feed back to Microsoft about this problem, but they
> don't seem to respond to this sort of problem. Or just don't care! Or
> both!
>
> I have also tried to illicit some feedback from both C Media Electronics
> Incorporation and VIA Technologies, Inc. without any success.
>
> Thanks for any and all help!
>
> Fairwinds and following seas,
>
> Senior Chief
>
> "Man's humanity to man is only exceeded by man's inhumanity to man."

Goto device manager, select the device and 'roll back' the driver to the
previous driver. Reboot.