Help installing XP

I am attempting to install Windows XP (a full install) I am currently running
2000. When I put the cd in everything goes smoothly and then it says that it
is going to restart my computer which it does then it says that it is
installing windows which it goes thru a few things at the bottom of the
screen then I get to a screen that prompts me to do one of the followind:

ENTER = Continue
R = Repair
F3 = Quit

The problem is that right before it goes to this screen my lightson my
keyboard go off (cap lock etc) and when I get to this screen my keyboard is
dead, I even tried a new keyboard and the same thing happens.

Any hints or suggestions on what I can do to get past this screen and
continue with installation?

Thanks in advance.

Todd
5 answers Last reply
More about help installing

    I seem to recall two possibilities:

    1) Bad memory stick
    2) Incompatible mother board

    Hope I am wrong and it's just software.

    I would try physically disconnecting all peripheral hardware devices from
    your computer, except for the monitor, mouse and keyboard.

    "tej" <tej@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am attempting to install Windows XP (a full install) I am currently
    >running
    > 2000. When I put the CD in everything goes smoothly and then it says that
    > it
    > is going to restart my computer which it does then it says that it is
    > installing windows which it goes through a few things at the bottom of the
    > screen then I get to a screen that prompts me to do one of the following:
    >
    > ENTER = Continue
    > R = Repair
    > F3 = Quit
    >
    > The problem is that right before it goes to this screen my lightson my
    > keyboard go off (cap lock etc) and when I get to this screen my keyboard
    > is
    > dead, I even tried a new keyboard and the same thing happens.
    >
    > Any hints or suggestions on what I can do to get past this screen and
    > continue with installation?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Todd

    Not addressing the keyboard problem - but you mentioned doing a "full
    install" which usually is another name for "clean install". The options you
    mentioned are usually presented when setup has detected a current Windows
    installation. Setup then provides three options: Upgrade. Repair (2 repair
    options 1. Recovery console - first repair offered 2. Repair - through
    Windows setup), and full install. Is there a reason for not upgrading? One
    installation option is to copy XP CD to a folder on the HD and try to run
    setup from the folder - however it would be an upgrade.

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

    Al,
    I am doing a clean install because I am going from Win 2000 to XP

    Todd

    "Al Romanosky" wrote:

    > Not addressing the keyboard problem - but you mentioned doing a "full
    > install" which usually is another name for "clean install". The options you
    > mentioned are usually presented when setup has detected a current Windows
    > installation. Setup then provides three options: Upgrade. Repair (2 repair
    > options 1. Recovery console - first repair offered 2. Repair - through
    > Windows setup), and full install. Is there a reason for not upgrading? One
    > installation option is to copy XP CD to a folder on the HD and try to run
    > setup from the folder - however it would be an upgrade.

    > AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    > Myers, FL

    Al,
    I have Win 2000 Pro and an upgrade will not work. Do you have any
    suggestions on how I can get by the keyboard issue? Keyboard works fine when
    I reboot it just will not let me install XP always hangs at the same spot.

    Any suggestions??

    "tej" wrote:

    > Al,
    > I am doing a clean install because I am going from Win 2000 to XP
    >
    > Todd
    >
    > "Al Romanosky" wrote:
    >
    > > Not addressing the keyboard problem - but you mentioned doing a "full
    > > install" which usually is another name for "clean install". The options you
    > > mentioned are usually presented when setup has detected a current Windows
    > > installation. Setup then provides three options: Upgrade. Repair (2 repair
    > > options 1. Recovery console - first repair offered 2. Repair - through
    > > Windows setup), and full install. Is there a reason for not upgrading? One
    > > installation option is to copy XP CD to a folder on the HD and try to run
    > > setup from the folder - however it would be an upgrade.
    > >
    > > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > > AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    > > Myers, FL
    > > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    tej - have no concrete advice - Windows 2000 pro is upgradeable to XP - You
    can verify if the XP you have is an upgrade version by inserting the CD in
    drive and browse the contents - open the I386 folder and there will be a
    subfolder titled "WINNIUPG" which indicated an upgrade CD -a few thoughts
    though: 1. Sometimes windows installation can slow down dramatically at some
    point - have you let the machine for 20 minutes or more at that point? 2.
    Do you receive any error code? 3. Maybe virus/malware/spyware - run
    utilities prior to installing XP (probably not pertinent since keyboard
    works OK normally). 4. Have you access to another XP CD to try or another
    computer to try your CD?

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

Windows XP Keyboards