Jennifer

when I go to open the control panel, I get an error message that windows
explorer has encountered an error and must close...HELP!!
--
jen

Presumably you already scanned for viruses.

If you have a Windows XP Installation CD-ROM I would run System File
Checker.

Start > Run and type
sfc /scannow
click OK

If still no joy, you should consider a Repair Install
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
Michael

"Jennifer" <Jennifer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when I go to open the control panel, I get an error message that windows
> explorer has encountered an error and must close...HELP!!
> --
> jen

unrepper

Distinguished
May 15, 2005

There are known viruses, malware, spyware and adware that disable certain
features of the XP operating system. Have you tried the Task Manager by
pushing CTRL, ALT and DELETE at the same time. If this also fails to open
you may want to visit this site and clean your system. Post back for more
assistance.

Don Kendrick

"Jennifer" wrote:

> when I go to open the control panel, I get an error message that windows
> explorer has encountered an error and must close...HELP!!
> --
> jen

See:

Can't access Windows Explorer, Control Panel et al.
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=80536

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org