windows xp will not boot up

July 15, 2005 7:00:17 PM

Hi all,

when I turn on my computer it starts to load up as normal then a screen
comes up and tells me that there was a power failure or something and
ask me to select one of five options (safe mode (with
network/command..), use last settings that worked, or start windows XP
pro normally) then if I pick any of the options it just restarts
shortly after, or I am confronted with a blue screen

The story as far as I know is that my little brother pulled out the
main power cable at the back of the base unit thus bringing the
computer to a sudden halt.

To be honest I’m stuck fast on what to do, so any advice would be
greatly appreciated

thanks...

super andy

--
superandy_07

More about : windows boot

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 9:04:24 PM

"superandy_07" <superandy_07.1s81pw@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> when I turn on my computer it starts to load up as normal then a screen
> comes up and tells me that there was a power failure or something and
> ask me to select one of five options (safe mode (with
> network/command..), use last settings that worked, or start windows XP
> pro normally) then if I pick any of the options it just restarts
> shortly after, or I am confronted with a blue screen
>
> The story as far as I know is that my little brother pulled out the
> main power cable at the back of the base unit thus bringing the
> computer to a sudden halt.
>
> To be honest I'm stuck fast on what to do, so any advice would be
> greatly appreciated
>

> thanks...
>
> super andy
>

> --
> superandy_07

This is what can happen without a proper shutdown. Boot your install CD and
do a repair if possible.
July 15, 2005 11:27:49 PM

Hello Andy,
I don't fully follow what you are saying, but try this and see what happens.
Start your PC. As soon as it starts repeatedly press the F8 key. The menu
you have described will appear
Select the option to start Windows with the last good setting that worked.
The computer should now restart Windows.
If it startsup, then under the Start menu, select Run and type cmd.
A console window will open. Type into it chkdsk c: /r You will get a message
that this will run on the next reboot.
Now reboot the computer. The PC will attempt to repair any hard drive errors
for you and finally Windows will load.
Finally from within Windows run your system defragmenter program.

Hope that helps-if not please come back

Chelsea