Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

looking for windows 3.1 games ( rudy can you help ? )

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 12:15:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

i am looking for windows 3.1 games ( small enuff to fit on a floppy to
install on a laptop )

....the request is for a friend.

rudy, can you help ?

other suggestions welcome :o )

More about : windows games rudy

Anonymous
May 12, 2004 8:16:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

I think you're looking for DOS games (Win 3.1 runs on a DOS computer)
I got some DOS games in the free games section, but I got 47 games in the
Old games section too (all DOS games, if I am right).
Old games: http://www.caiman.be/scripts/dgamesmenu.html

And of course you can look for abandonware too (look at the linkpage:
http://abandonware.start.be/ )

BTW: Your webring on my site is still pending ...

Rudy
http://www.caiman.us

PS: How many kids love solitaire and other card games??? ;-)

* ProteanThread * wrote:

> i am looking for windows 3.1 games ( small enuff to fit on a floppy to
> install on a laptop )
>
> ...the request is for a friend.
>
> rudy, can you help ?
>
> other suggestions welcome :o )
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 8:16:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

"Rudy Versele" <rudy@caiman.be> wrote in message
news:40A24DD4.539FA539@caiman.be...
> I think you're looking for DOS games (Win 3.1 runs on a DOS computer)
> I got some DOS games in the free games section, but I got 47 games in the
> Old games section too (all DOS games, if I am right).
> Old games: http://www.caiman.be/scripts/dgamesmenu.html
>
> And of course you can look for abandonware too (look at the linkpage:
> http://abandonware.start.be/ )
>
> BTW: Your webring on my site is still pending ...
>
> Rudy
> http://www.caiman.us
>
> PS: How many kids love solitaire and other card games??? ;-)
>
> * ProteanThread * wrote:
>


lol. i was looking for solitaire games for a friends laptop which only has
Windows 3.1 :o )

( thanks for letting me know about the webring fixing it now )
Related resources
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 10:24:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

* ProteanThread * wrote:
> i am looking for windows 3.1 games ( small enuff to fit on a floppy to
> install on a laptop )
>
> ...the request is for a friend.
>
> rudy, can you help ?
>
> other suggestions welcome :o )

*PT*,

you could try here:
http://www.alex-soft.net/
http://www.goodsol.com/win31.html
http://win3x.bravepages.com/
http://freegamesonly.narod.ru/index.html (SLOW)
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/2516/dlwin3...


Of couse, you could also check abandonware sites, sometimes (sierra
sometimes does) they will release it to PD or as Freeware. 'Age Of Empires
I' for example has become Freeware and is a dos game. Just be aware that not
all abandonware *is* free.

MigthyKitten

--

http://fotoalbum.it-hulp.nl/
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 10:24:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

"MightyKitten" <MightyKitten@127.0.0.1.zap> wrote in message
news:40a24fb5$0$562$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> * ProteanThread * wrote:
> > i am looking for windows 3.1 games ( small enuff to fit on a floppy to
> > install on a laptop )
> >
> > ...the request is for a friend.
> >
> > rudy, can you help ?
> >
> > other suggestions welcome :o )
>
> *PT*,
>
> you could try here:
> http://www.alex-soft.net/
> http://www.goodsol.com/win31.html
> http://win3x.bravepages.com/
> http://freegamesonly.narod.ru/index.html (SLOW)
> http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/2516/dlwin3...
>
>
> Of couse, you could also check abandonware sites, sometimes (sierra
> sometimes does) they will release it to PD or as Freeware. 'Age Of Empires
> I' for example has become Freeware and is a dos game. Just be aware that
not
> all abandonware *is* free.
>
> MigthyKitten
>
> --
>
> http://fotoalbum.it-hulp.nl/
>
>



Thanks, it is a start. :-)
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 10:29:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

Rudy Versele wrote:
<SNIP>
> And of course you can look for abandonware too (look at the linkpage:
> http://abandonware.start.be/ )

O Yes, Belgium is the centre of the world (Sorry couldn't resist) ;-)
But a nice link anyway

<SNIP>
> PS: How many kids love solitaire and other card games??? ;-)
<SNIP>

LOL, I had some questions about that too. Nice effort, *PT*, but I think I
have to agree with Rudy on this.

MightyKitten
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 10:29:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

<g> This was the only Belgian link I had and I saw you online, so ... <g>
Rudy ;) 

MightyKitten wrote:

> Rudy Versele wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > And of course you can look for abandonware too (look at the linkpage:
> > http://abandonware.start.be/ )
>
> O Yes, Belgium is the centre of the world (Sorry couldn't resist) ;-)
> But a nice link anyway
>
> <SNIP>
> > PS: How many kids love solitaire and other card games??? ;-)
> <SNIP>
>
> LOL, I had some questions about that too. Nice effort, *PT*, but I think I
> have to agree with Rudy on this.
>
> MightyKitten
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 10:29:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

"MightyKitten" <MightyKitten@127.0.0.1.zap> wrote in message
news:40a250e6$0$563$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> Rudy Versele wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > And of course you can look for abandonware too (look at the linkpage:
> > http://abandonware.start.be/ )
>
> O Yes, Belgium is the centre of the world (Sorry couldn't resist) ;-)
> But a nice link anyway
>
> <SNIP>
> > PS: How many kids love solitaire and other card games??? ;-)
> <SNIP>
>
> LOL, I had some questions about that too. Nice effort, *PT*, but I think I
> have to agree with Rudy on this.
>
> MightyKitten
>
>


The only games that seem to play on Windows 3.1 are solitaire type. :o )
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 11:13:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

"Rudy Versele" <rudy@caiman.be> wrote in message
news:40A24DD4.539FA539@caiman.be...
> I think you're looking for DOS games (Win 3.1 runs on a DOS computer)
> I got some DOS games in the free games section, but I got 47 games in the
> Old games section too (all DOS games, if I am right).
> Old games: http://www.caiman.be/scripts/dgamesmenu.html
>
> And of course you can look for abandonware too (look at the linkpage:
> http://abandonware.start.be/ )
>
> BTW: Your webring on my site is still pending ...
>
> Rudy
> http://www.caiman.us
>
> PS: How many kids love solitaire and other card games??? ;-)
>
> * ProteanThread * wrote:
>
> > i am looking for windows 3.1 games ( small enuff to fit on a floppy to
> > install on a laptop )
> >
> > ...the request is for a friend.
> >
> > rudy, can you help ?
> >
> > other suggestions welcome :o )
>


um, he *IS* looking for non-DOS Windows only games but i'll pass on the
links. I even exhausted Henk's website. ( btw, I am familiar with the
difference between DOS and Windows ;-) )
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 11:48:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

* ProteanThread * wrote:

> i am looking for windows 3.1 games ( small enuff to fit on a floppy to
> install on a laptop )
> ...the request is for a friend.
> rudy, can you help ?
> other suggestions welcome :o )

Starting point?
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Oper...

regards

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

My sites:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solitaire MahJongg: http://home.halden.net/vkp/vkp/index.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chinese Checkers: http://home.no.net/vkp/index.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire: http://home.halden.net/vkp/index.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My fishy site (fishing games): http://home.no/vkp32/index.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb: http://www.fredrikshald-havfiske.no
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 11:48:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

"Vegard Krog Petersen" <vegard_krog_petersen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:c7tntc$pbr$1@news.tdcnorge.no...
> * ProteanThread * wrote:
>
> > i am looking for windows 3.1 games ( small enuff to fit on a floppy to
> > install on a laptop )
> > ...the request is for a friend.
> > rudy, can you help ?
> > other suggestions welcome :o )
>
> Starting point?
>
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Oper...
>
> regards
>
> --
> Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway
>
> My sites:
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------
> Solitaire MahJongg: http://home.halden.net/vkp/vkp/index.html
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------
> Chinese Checkers: http://home.no.net/vkp/index.html
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------
> Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire: http://home.halden.net/vkp/index.html
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------
> My fishy site (fishing games): http://home.no/vkp32/index.html
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------
> Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb: http://www.fredrikshald-havfiske.no
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------




Thanks!
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 2:13:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

*ProteanThread* wrote:

> "Rudy Versele" <rudy@caiman.be> wrote in message
> news:40A24DD4.539FA539@caiman.be...
> > I think you're looking for DOS games (Win 3.1 runs on a DOS computer)
> > I got some DOS games in the free games section, but I got 47 games in the
> > Old games section too (all DOS games, if I am right).
> > Old games: http://www.caiman.be/scripts/dgamesmenu.html
> >
> > And of course you can look for abandonware too (look at the linkpage:
> > http://abandonware.start.be/ )
> >
> > BTW: Your webring on my site is still pending ...
> >
> > Rudy
> > http://www.caiman.us
> >
> > PS: How many kids love solitaire and other card games??? ;-)
> >
> > * ProteanThread * wrote:
> >
>
> lol. i was looking for solitaire games for a friends laptop which only has
> Windows 3.1 :o )
>
> ( thanks for letting me know about the webring fixing it now )

Thanks for the webring :-)
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 1:17:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

*ProteanThread* wrote:
<SNIP>
> um, he *IS* looking for non-DOS Windows only games but i'll pass on
> the links. I even exhausted Henk's website. ( btw, I am familiar
> with the difference between DOS and Windows ;-) )

Yep, that will be much harder, Back In these old days, it often was easier
to write a nice looking program in dos then in windows. If you take the most
advanced games of that time, the 1st person 3d shooters, they are virtually
all dos, becaus windows 3.1 couldn't cope with any 3d or graphical engine.
So most real windows 3.1 games will be those that are not heavy on graphics
and/or calculations. Like... well... er... sollitaire... (and a lot of
thinking games)

By the way, Why doesn't he load windows 95 on the machine. With 32+ MB RAM
and 160 MB HD ram it should work. Or are we talking stoneage machines here?

--

http://fotoalbum.it-hulp.nl/
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 1:17:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

"MightyKitten" <MightyKitten@127.0.0.1.zap> wrote in message
news:40a32122$0$64453$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> *ProteanThread* wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > um, he *IS* looking for non-DOS Windows only games but i'll pass on
> > the links. I even exhausted Henk's website. ( btw, I am familiar
> > with the difference between DOS and Windows ;-) )
>
> Yep, that will be much harder, Back In these old days, it often was easier
> to write a nice looking program in dos then in windows. If you take the
most
> advanced games of that time, the 1st person 3d shooters, they are
virtually
> all dos, becaus windows 3.1 couldn't cope with any 3d or graphical engine.
> So most real windows 3.1 games will be those that are not heavy on
graphics
> and/or calculations. Like... well... er... sollitaire... (and a lot of
> thinking games)
>
> By the way, Why doesn't he load windows 95 on the machine. With 32+ MB RAM
> and 160 MB HD ram it should work. Or are we talking stoneage machines
here?
>
> --
>
> http://fotoalbum.it-hulp.nl/
>
>


386 with 8 meg ram and 130 meg hd (not to mention a mono monitor)

its a 386SX20 :-D
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 8:48:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

*ProteanThread* wrote:
<SNIP>
>
>
> 386 with 8 meg ram and 130 meg hd (not to mention a mono monitor)
>
> its a 386SX20 :-D


Monochrome Montior: Can live with it
130 MB harddisk: Tricky but possible
386 SX 20: Bummer Maybe for a simple protocol sniffer or creating stuff in
Turbo Pascall or as a linux firewall (2 PCMCIA network cards)
8 MB RAM: Paperweight!

Man! starting it up would be a passtime on its own...

And I thought my friends had prehistoric stuff...

MigthyKitten.

--

http://fotoalbum.it-hulp.nl/
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 8:48:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

"MightyKitten" <MightyKitten@127.0.0.1.zap> wrote in message news:<40a38aac$0$576$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>...
> *ProteanThread* wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >
> >
> > 386 with 8 meg ram and 130 meg hd (not to mention a mono monitor)
> >
> > its a 386SX20 :-D
>
>
> Monochrome Montior: Can live with it
> 130 MB harddisk: Tricky but possible
> 386 SX 20: Bummer Maybe for a simple protocol sniffer or creating stuff in
> Turbo Pascall or as a linux firewall (2 PCMCIA network cards)
> 8 MB RAM: Paperweight!
>
> Man! starting it up would be a passtime on its own...
>
> And I thought my friends had prehistoric stuff...
>
> MigthyKitten.


I got a 286/20 with twice more memory and better throughput. :o )
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 12:29:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

On that special day, , ("*ProteanThread*" <rtdos hotmail com>) said...

> The only games that seem to play on Windows 3.1 are solitaire type. :o )

And the Minesweepers and Mah-Jonggs?


Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de


--
Ah, Information. A good, too valuable these days, to give it away, just
so, at no cost.
!