High Brightness on a 1905FP

Hi folks...

I just installed my new Dell 1905FP 19" TFT monitor, which I am
operating in digital mode (DVI input), on an ATI Radeon X300 adapter,
on a Dimension 8400 PC.

As a first impression, I find this monitor a bit tiresome to work with,
compared to the M993s, which I also have. In particular, the white
balance seems to be too high, so doing word processing for prolonged
amounts of time is difficult.

I have reduced the brightness to 0 (!) in the OSD and that only
improves the situation a bit. Some settings (such as contrast) are
disabled (probably available only for the analog mode?).

So, the question is, should I be looking for other color management
(ICM) files, change a setting of the monitor that I haven't discovered
yet, or look for something else?

Thanks,

Dimitris

dterzis@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi folks...
>
> I just installed my new Dell 1905FP 19" TFT monitor, which I am
> operating in digital mode (DVI input), on an ATI Radeon X300 adapter,
> on a Dimension 8400 PC.
>
> As a first impression, I find this monitor a bit tiresome to work
> with, compared to the M993s, which I also have. In particular, the
> white balance seems to be too high, so doing word processing for
> prolonged amounts of time is difficult.
>
> I have reduced the brightness to 0 (!) in the OSD and that only
> improves the situation a bit. Some settings (such as contrast) are
> disabled (probably available only for the analog mode?).
>
> So, the question is, should I be looking for other color management
> (ICM) files, change a setting of the monitor that I haven't discovered
> yet, or look for something else?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dimitris

Does the brightness control on the connected computer do anything?

Hi...

Thanks for the replies. I had checked the display settings (advanced
and other) before posting, nothing helps. Don't know what you mean by
"brightness control on the connected computer", there apparently is no
such a thing.

What strikes me is that I reduce brightness to 0 on the OSD and the
image displayed is still on, with only a slight reduction in
brightness. Is this normal? Can the monitor be defective?

I am not a novice user, but still haven't found a solution (if there is
one) and the whole thing is annoying.

Thanks,

Dimitris

Have you looked for additional display adjustments in:
Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced

Hi...

I did that already, nothing changes. By installing the ATI Control
Center I can get some crude brightness adjustment, but no contrast and
still the monitor is too bright for me. I have done quite a bit of
search around and there doesn't seem to be a solution to this.

Unless, of course, anybody else has a new suggestion to contribute. :)

Thanks,

Dimitris

Try updating the video driver.

<dterzis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi...
>
> Thanks for the replies. I had checked the display settings (advanced
> and other) before posting, nothing helps. Don't know what you mean by
> "brightness control on the connected computer", there apparently is no
> such a thing.
>
> What strikes me is that I reduce brightness to 0 on the OSD and the
> image displayed is still on, with only a slight reduction in
> brightness. Is this normal? Can the monitor be defective?
>
> I am not a novice user, but still haven't found a solution (if there is
> one) and the whole thing is annoying.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dimitris

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I bought his monitor 2 weeks ago, I thought it wasn't as bright as the
17" Ultra sharp that came with my system.....Do you have this hooked up
by DVI or Analog. Analog has more control from the monitors panel
controls. Also, right click on the desktop, then click on Display, in my
case its on (NVIDIA) Display, then 1905FP.....there are controls there
at least there are on mine......
Btw, this monitor is on sale till tomorrow (5\4) for $287.40 in Dell SB
w\coupon ?2ZPQVPK5K$XF5 plus shipping...

Brad

dterzis@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I did that already, nothing changes. By installing the ATI Control
> Center I can get some crude brightness adjustment, but no contrast and
> still the monitor is too bright for me. I have done quite a bit of
> search around and there doesn't seem to be a solution to this.
>
> Unless, of course, anybody else has a new suggestion to contribute. :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dimitris

Hi folks...

I tried all the above with varying and limited success. The best
results occured after updating the driver with the latest version from
the Dell support site. This allowed quite a bit of tuning from the
various adapter properties menus, but still the combinations I was
getting were too bright or awkward for me.

So, in the end, I got fed up and I am returning it. I also have the
M993s, which I find much better, although it can still not compare to
my monsterous EIZO T765 19" tube, which is exactly what I ended up
hooking at the back of my Dimension 8400.

By the way, I looked at DellTalk and there were people also having the
same complains about 1905FP being too bright, so that is some sort of
relief.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Cheers,

Dimitris

It is a matter of sensitivity I guess, and per

Yes, the 1905 monitors are too bright. My brother has one with the
brightness turned down to zero, and it is still too bright. Turn it up to
100, and you can get a suntan!
> Hi folks...
>
> I just installed my new Dell 1905FP 19" TFT monitor, which I am
> operating in digital mode (DVI input), on an ATI Radeon X300 adapter,
> on a Dimension 8400 PC.
>
> As a first impression, I find this monitor a bit tiresome to work with,
> compared to the M993s, which I also have. In particular, the white
> balance seems to be too high, so doing word processing for prolonged
> amounts of time is difficult.
>
> I have reduced the brightness to 0 (!) in the OSD and that only
> improves the situation a bit. Some settings (such as contrast) are
> disabled (probably available only for the analog mode?).
>
> So, the question is, should I be looking for other color management
> (ICM) files, change a setting of the monitor that I haven't discovered
> yet, or look for something else?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dimitris

I am writing this for anyone out there who has a 1905fp and is
dissapointed with the gamma/brightness. I bought the 1905FP about a
month ago and have been messing with it ever since I got it, and have
finally come up with a pretty good work-around solution.

The moniter's default settings seem to be way off the mark when it
comes to gamma and brightness. The first thing you need to do is do a
windows update when you first install it and download the optional
hardware option that should come up: 1905FP.icm color profile.

Here's the first problem (there are others that I will get to). The ICC
profile is wrong!! So you have to tweak it. Open up Adobe Gamma, choose
control panel, and load the 1905FP.icm profile. DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING
EXCEPT THE PREFURRED GAMMA. Type in 2.65. This will compensate for the
monitor's washed out default internal gamma (which seems to be a major
flaw in it's design.) Save it as a different name (so you can always go
back and change the original if you need to.)

NEXT. Go into the monitor's OSD menu and make sure the Brightness is
set to 100 (default setting). Then go into color settings and go to
User Preset. This is where we compensate for the monitors over the top,
eye blistering brightness. set the colors to this setting: R=85, G=85,
B=80. This lowers the brightness down to a more usable setting. Adjust
to your liking, of course.

Also, as a last check-up. Go to your Display properties > Settings >
Advanced > Color MAnagment, and make sure that the ICC profile you
saved out from before is the default profile. If it is, remove all
others, if there are any there, and restart just to make sure it set's
itself as the default.

Hope this helps.

--
CP333

ajazjee

Honorable

ajazjee

Honorable
Hi every body high brightness on dell 1905fp is not a settings or software problem its completely hardware problem. An IC [SPDF8518-hf101] mounted on TCON board is faulty if you can replace it do it I grantee 100% it will be solved.