greyed out firewall settings??

I cant start windows firewall. reset didnt work and I have xp home sp2. It
seems group policy is preventing default firewall settings. There is no
group policy snapin available.
Whats up. Thanks Pg

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:09:02 GMT, "news.verizon.net" <pjg@verizon.net>
wrote:

>I cant start windows firewall. reset didnt work and I have xp home sp2. It
>seems group policy is preventing default firewall settings. There is no
>group policy snapin available.
>Whats up. Thanks Pg

Did you just install SP2? If so, then your issue may be related to a
poorly installed SP2, which I've seen on 2-3 machines. It's not how
it was installed, but rather it's something with the computer.

If this issue is unrelated to SP2, have you check the Services to see
if the related services are set to automatic (ie, firewall)?

This _might_ be due a trojan / virus activity. Follow the steps listed in
the article. See section "4. To delete the value from the registry" in the
Resolution part:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.elitper.a@mm.html

<quote>
Navigate to the subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile

In the right pane, delete the value:

"EnableFirewall" = "1"

</quote>

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"news.verizon.net" <pjg@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I cant start windows firewall. reset didnt work and I have xp home sp2. It
>seems group policy is preventing default firewall settings. There is no
>group policy snapin available.
> Whats up. Thanks Pg

I had run antivirus prior to upgrade of sp2.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile

here there is no "enable firewall" is says value not set and I couldnt find
the other one. Group policy disables firewall control and the netsh command.
There is no group policy editor included with xp home ??

> This _might_ be due a trojan / virus activity. Follow the steps listed in
> the article. See section "4. To delete the value from the registry" in the
> Resolution part:
>
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.elitper.a@mm.html
>
> <quote>
> Navigate to the subkeys:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile
>
> In the right pane, delete the value:
>
> "EnableFirewall" = "1"
>
> </quote>
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "news.verizon.net" <pjg@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>I cant start windows firewall. reset didnt work and I have xp home sp2. It
>>seems group policy is preventing default firewall settings. There is no
>>group policy snapin available.
>> Whats up. Thanks Pg

Group Policy Editor is not available in Windows XP Home Edition.

BTW, can you post the contents of this key (export it)

> I had run antivirus prior to upgrade of sp2.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile
>
> here there is no "enable firewall" is says value not set and I couldnt
> find the other one. Group policy disables firewall control and the netsh
> command. There is no group policy editor included with xp home ??
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> This _might_ be due a trojan / virus activity. Follow the steps listed in
>> the article. See section "4. To delete the value from the registry" in
>> the Resolution part:
>>
>> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.elitper.a@mm.html
>>
>> <quote>
>> Navigate to the subkeys:
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile
>>
>> In the right pane, delete the value:
>>
>> "EnableFirewall" = "1"
>>
>> </quote>
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "news.verizon.net" <pjg@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>>I cant start windows firewall. reset didnt work and I have xp home sp2.
>>>It seems group policy is preventing default firewall settings. There is
>>>no group policy snapin available.
>>> Whats up. Thanks Pg

As follows:
windows firewall ab (default) reg_sz (value not
set)

domain profile ab (default) reg_sz (value
not set)
enablefirewall
reg_dword 0x00000000 (0)
standard profile ab (default) reg_sz (value
not set)
enablefirewall
reg_dword 0x00000000 (0)
thanks, Peter
> Group Policy Editor is not available in Windows XP Home Edition.
>
> BTW, can you post the contents of this key (export it)
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "news.verizon.net" <pjg@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> I had run antivirus prior to upgrade of sp2.
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile
>>
>> here there is no "enable firewall" is says value not set and I couldnt
>> find the other one. Group policy disables firewall control and the netsh
>> command. There is no group policy editor included with xp home ??
>>
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> This _might_ be due a trojan / virus activity. Follow the steps listed
>>> in the article. See section "4. To delete the value from the registry"
>>> in the Resolution part:
>>>
>>> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.elitper.a@mm.html
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> Navigate to the subkeys:
>>>
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile
>>>
>>> In the right pane, delete the value:
>>>
>>> "EnableFirewall" = "1"
>>>
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "news.verizon.net" <pjg@verizon.net> wrote in message

You stated that the EnableFirewall value is not present in the registry.

BUT, I can see it's present in your registry export

standard profile ab (default) reg_sz (value not set)
enablefirewall
reg_dword 0x00000000 (0)

P.S: Whenever you export the Registry contents to post in newsgroups, post
in REG format rather than Text file format.