Wireless - Newby Questions 2 Wire home network

I have signed up for the SBC DSL deal and they sent me a 2 wire
(brand) router that has wireless also.
Question one. I have my main unit (home) in one room running XP,
connected through the USB to the 2 wire 1000SW for DSL hookup. The
kids have a WIn 98SE machine in another room. What exactly do I need
to connect the kids unit to my unit for them to have DSL access also?
I assume I need some form of PCI card for their computer to talk to
mine via wireless. Are there any brands that work better with the 2
wire?
Question 2: I have another 2 wire -1000SW also. Can this be used as
the wireless communicator for the kids computer instead of buying
additional hardware?
Thanks .... Dad
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless newby questions wire home network

    First of all, you should request an Ethernet DSL modem, NOT a USB one.
    Then buy a router (wireless if you wish for some of the computers) I
    strongly suggest that you do NOT try to set up your LAN with Internet
    Connection Sharing. Too many problems.
    The wireless router plugs into the Ethernet DSL modem. You can hardwire one
    or more computers to the router (at least the one nearest the router/modem)
    and connect wireless to computers that are difficult to connect by Cat 5
    wire.
    If you go wireless, you will need a wireless adapter for the kids' machine.
    I recommend a USB wireless adapter. I also recommend buying the same brand
    router and adapters.
    The cheapest is 802.11b but the 802.11g is coming down quickly in price.
    The g model is much faster on inter/computer file transfers. No difference
    in Internet traffic.
    Do some homework

    Alan White wrote:
    > First of all, you should request an Ethernet DSL modem, NOT a USB one.
    > Then buy a router (wireless if you wish for some of the computers) I
    > strongly suggest that you do NOT try to set up your LAN with Internet
    > Connection Sharing. Too many problems.
    > The wireless router plugs into the Ethernet DSL modem. You can hardwire one
    > or more computers to the router (at least the one nearest the router/modem)
    > and connect wireless to computers that are difficult to connect by Cat 5
    > wire.
    > If you go wireless, you will need a wireless adapter for the kids' machine.
    > I recommend a USB wireless adapter. I also recommend buying the same brand
    > router and adapters.
    > The cheapest is 802.11b but the 802.11g is coming down quickly in price.
    > The g model is much faster on inter/computer file transfers. No difference
    > in Internet traffic.
    > Do some homework

    I have a 2wire router and it has both a USB and ethernet connector. I
    bought a D-link 510 at a computer fair and have had problems with blue
    screening. After I followed these instructions

    http://www.jannis.to/daily/archives/405_DLink_DWL_510_and_DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.html

    or a tiny url

    http://tinyurl.com/32s7p

    and its been operating fine.