How to install98 drivers in XP???

Rebuilt

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2002
How do I set up my unit to use my 98,98se,ME,2000 compatible drivers?? Some of my stuff does not have XP drivers written for it. Does it matter? I don't know a thing about XP, been using 98 se since it first came out, but might as well get on the XP bandwagon since MS is going to stop supportin 98. I have heard of some folks actually setting up the HD as FAT 32, then installing XP on it. Why would one want to do that?? I thought NTFS was the cats meow as far as stability goes. I resell some computers, in the 450MHz to 1200MHz range. A lot of those older drivers cannot be updated to XP. How do I do it??

A man is just about as happy as he makes up his mind to be. Abe Lincoln

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
XP runs so well even if FAT32 is used. NTFS is all just about security & encryption.

<b><font color=purple>
The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind.
</font color=purple></b>
---
<A HREF="http://www.mapua.edu.ph/" target="_new">
MIT
</A>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
upgrading to newer hardware could only be the hope to install xp.

<b><font color=purple>
The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind.
</font color=purple></b>
---
<A HREF="http://www.mapua.edu.ph/" target="_new">
MIT
</A>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
XP has a Program Compatiblity Wizard - that let's you load programs and stuff designed for earlier OS - just pick the OS: 95, 98, ME. 2000 ... I've successfully loaded programs written for earlier OS's - even when the prgm manufacturer claims you need to buy an upgrade, ie, Symantec's WinFaxPro.

The Prgm Compat.Wizard is: start>accessories>PCW - follow the yellow brick road ...

Edit: You can also use device manager to install drivers, change drivers, etc.

<b><font color=red> “Liberals have many tails and chase them all.” – H.L. Mencken </font color=red><b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jake_Barnes on 09/29/03 08:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Rebuilt

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2002
So... I can set up a HD as FAT 32, install XP, and still use my 98,98se, 2000 drivers? I don't mind all that much hunting drivers down, even some of the older video cards have drivers written for XP. My concern is that some of the boards have proprietary onboards, ie sound and video. A lot of these propietaries have no XP updated drivers available at their website, (Gateway, Dell). I'm perfectly content with my 98se, it's tweaked, tuned and stable. But if I sell a unit that I bought w/o an OS, I have to sell it with no OS. Since 98se is no longer available, just like they did with 95, the only choice a customer might have is to go get their own copy of XP and install it themselves, or have me do it. I finally broke down and bought me an OEM XP. Not that I need it.But, for example, I do need to get familiar enough with it to get a 3 yr old Gateway E-3200 PIII@450MHz up and running with it, with factory hardware intact. I don't want to have to disable onboards, then install new sound and vid cards. Can't make any money that way. What I'm doing is recycling off-lease PC's, cleaning them up, testing, and repairing whatever is messed up,if anything, then reselling with a monitor as a working, tested system. My concern is that a lot of newer users don't even have their own copy of 98se to install, All they have is XP. There is a small niche for this kind of service in my area, decent pc's for kids and students for under $500. Have I just bumped my head and gotten in a fluster about nothing, or can I install older drivers in XP?? Thanks for your time. Kevin

A man is just about as happy as he makes up his mind to be. Abe Lincoln

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First off ...

Yes, you can set up a hard drive with FAT32 partitions and install WinXP. NTFS isn't necessary, it's simply preferred by many users, and recommended by Microsoft. The only real problems that you might encounter with these older machines are creating FAT32 partitions over 32GB with the WinXP CD, and within the GUI, but to get around that, it's easier to just partition the drive with FDISK, and then format with the WinXP CD.

I'd also try to make it a habit to low level format the hard drives before partitioning, just to be safe, rather than sorry, so any bad sectors can be marked. Testing the memory would also be a good idea. And making a practice of installing the latest BIOS versions that can be found will also save you some headaches. These three things cause more problems with WinXP installations on older hardware than anything else, excepting cheap, under-powered PSUs, which can screw up just about any operating system installation.

Next, just in case there is any confusion; the choice of file system has nothing to do with the drivers.

No, sir ... you can't get away with installing Win98 and 98SE drivers in WinXP. They are two entirely different beasts. You can sometimes install Win2K drivers, in certain instances, because of the similarity between the two operating systems. And many of the drivers that are written for WinXP include functionality in Win2K.

However, on the same note, you aren't going to be able to install Win2K drivers in Win98/98SE and expect the system to be stable, either.

For the best results, with WinXP ... newer drivers are a must, or you're just going to be asking for trouble.

This means, with those older, proprietary systems, you may have no option but to install hardware that is supported by the OS, or has workable, stable drivers that are actually available for download and installation.

This might not cost nearly as much as you think. A three year old system may not need a cutting edge video card or sound card, and many older components can be purchased for a song. It would probably cost you about $50.00 per system to upgrade each computer with a standard VisionTek GeForce2 GTS card and a standard sound card ... less if you found a distributor and bought in bulk.

You might find this useful:

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp" target="_new">Windows XP Upgrade Advisor</A>

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/compatibility/default.asp" target="_new">Compatibility Resources and Information</A>

It's either go this route, or buy Win98SE in bulk to use with the computers, and include a CD burned with the hotfixes, patches and drivers, while you can still pick up the updates for the operating system from Microsoft.

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;w98" target="_new">Windows 98 Support Center</A>

And here's a fact ... a user who has purchased a copy of WinXP prior to buying a refurbished, proprietary system that is 3 years old (or more) needs to either be persuaded to return the software for a refund, or accept a copy of an older operating system, such as Win2K or Win98SE. They didn't do their homework, or just don't understand that getting drivers for a proprietary system are different than for an ordinary white box with standard components; especially ones that are not integrated on the mainboard. It's up to you to educate them on what is possible, and what you might not be able to do, even with the best of intentions.

Personally, I think that if the user insists on installing WinXP, even though you've warned them that drivers for some of the hardware can't be found, I wouldn't take responsibility for their actions. You might recommend that they spend the extra cash for supported components before the installation, but nothing beyond that, unless they want you to install the newer hardware.

Not everyone listens to good advice, or is an expert ... otherwise, there would be no need for support technicians.

If that doesn't suit them, there's an eMachine at Wal-Mart that's $399.00 after the rebate that comes with 3 months worth of AOL. Buy twenty of them, sell them for $500.00 each, and pocket the profit. ;-)

That's my two cents.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>