login problem

i downloaded an antivirus program on my other computer, and it scanned my
computer , healed virus, and told me to restart my computer. once i did that
i tried to log onto my account name. i type my password and instead of
logging me into windows it logs me off and sends me back to the main windows
xp log in screen. i really cant lose files on there, but i dont know how to
fix it:( does anyone know anything i can do?
2 answers Last reply
More about login problem

    Boot tapping the F8 key as the BIOS information goes by. At the
    Windows Advanced Options menu select Safe Mode. On the welcome screen
    select Administrator. This is the hidden Administrator account (not
    intended for day to day use) and assuming a password was never
    assigned to it click enter.
    Account changes can be made from Control Panel, or:
    From there go to Start - Run and type
    control userpasswords2
    then press enter. From there you can select any user account and Reset
    Passwords, add/remove accounts or change account type.

    Then go to Start - Run and type lusrmgr.msc and press enter.
    Now click on Users in the left pane to expand it.
    Double-click on the user account that had expired.
    Check 'Password Never Expires'.
    If this doen't work try here.
    Don Kendrick

    "DaZeD'n'CoNfUzEd" <DaZeD'n'CoNfUzEd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:0C06ECA3-3EA1-4561-BF04-0E3E1ED1F8C7@microsoft.com...
    >i downloaded an antivirus program on my other computer, and it scanned
    >my
    > computer , healed virus, and told me to restart my computer. once i
    > did that
    > i tried to log onto my account name. i type my password and instead of
    > logging me into windows it logs me off and sends me back to the main
    > windows
    > xp log in screen. i really cant lose files on there, but i dont know
    > how to
    > fix it:( does anyone know anything i can do?

    Some ant-spyware may have removed or quarantine wsaupdater.exe thinking
    that it's harmful.

    Fix:
    1. Boot the computer using your WinXP CD.
    2. Press r to enter the Recovery Console when required.
    3. At the command prompt type:

    cd system32

    4. Then type:

    copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe

    5. Then type:

    exit

    Reboot normally. You should now be able to logon. But you're not done
    yet.

    6. Run regedit (start>run>regedit)

    7. Locate the "Userinit" key in:

    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

    8. modify the entry:

    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe,

    so that it reads:

    C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,

    Note: Make sure the comma (,) is included at the end of userinit.exe

    --
    William

Login Computers Windows XP