Wireless Zero Configuration Service Problem

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
July 15, 2005 6:45:02 PM

On a computer running Windows XP Pro SP2, apparently after installing
automatic updates this week, the following happens at login:
Login is successful, the user's desktop background appears and that is it.
No taskbar, no desktop icons, no start button. Ctrl-Alt-Delete does nothing.
But if you press the Escape key at this point, the desktop appears and the
computer finishes booting normally.

Using MSCONFIG I have determined the problem to be the Wireless Zero
Configuration Service. If I disable it, the computer will boot normally but
the user will not be able to connect to his wireless network. I have
installed the latest device drivers. I have even reinstalled Service Pack 2.
Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

The 3 updates applied this week were: KB901214, KB890830 and KB903235.

Thanks,

Jeff

More about : wireless configuration service problem

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 10:16:15 PM

I connect wirelessly with Wireless Zero Configuration Service disabled by
using the configuration utility that came with my wireless card.Does he have
such a utility??
peterk

the problem
"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On a computer running Windows XP Pro SP2, apparently after installing
> automatic updates this week, the following happens at login:
> Login is successful, the user's desktop background appears and that is it.
> No taskbar, no desktop icons, no start button. Ctrl-Alt-Delete does
> nothing.
> But if you press the Escape key at this point, the desktop appears and the
> computer finishes booting normally.
>
> Using MSCONFIG I have determined the problem to be the Wireless Zero
> Configuration Service. If I disable it, the computer will boot normally
> but
> the user will not be able to connect to his wireless network. I have
> installed the latest device drivers. I have even reinstalled Service Pack
> 2.
> Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.
>
> The 3 updates applied this week were: KB901214, KB890830 and KB903235.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 1:58:03 AM

After Installing the below said 3 updates, (KB901214, KB890830 and KB903235),
i'm not able to connect to my wireless network. Though the adapter could see
the network and the strength is very good, it is not able to acquire network
address. It is saying "LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY".

Can any of you please help me out in resolving this issue?

!