Disk Full Error

I have a 120 GB HD with about 40 GB of data but my system is telling me my HD
is full. This happened once before when an automatic update caused system
problems. On that occasion I ran CHKDSK which "found" about 20 GB followed
by AdAware & Spybot which corrected it completely. This time nothing works.
My Virus checker is up to date, online access is firewalled, a virus scan is
clear, AdAware & Spybot are clear, I have run CHKDSK & RegClean and restored
to an earlier point but to no avail. I cannot defrag because the system
tells me I have insufficient space. Can anyone help please?

Thank you!
8 answers Last reply
More about disk full error

    "ChristineB" <ChristineB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 120 GB HD with about 40 GB of data but my system is telling me my
    >HD
    > is full. This happened once before when an automatic update caused system
    > problems. On that occasion I ran CHKDSK which "found" about 20 GB
    > followed
    > by AdAware & Spybot which corrected it completely. This time nothing
    > works.
    > My Virus checker is up to date, online access is firewalled, a virus scan
    > is
    > clear, AdAware & Spybot are clear, I have run CHKDSK & RegClean and
    > restored
    > to an earlier point but to no avail. I cannot defrag because the system
    > tells me I have insufficient space. Can anyone help please?
    >
    > Thank you!

    Are the files in the root directory? If so put them into directories as
    there are a limited number of directory entries for the root and can give
    this problem

    My data files are all organised in folders within My Documents or Shared
    Documents (I have my laptop connected via a wireless network)

    "Alan Smith" wrote:

    > "ChristineB" <ChristineB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a 120 GB HD with about 40 GB of data but my system is telling me my
    > >HD
    > > is full. This happened once before when an automatic update caused system
    > > problems. On that occasion I ran CHKDSK which "found" about 20 GB
    > > followed
    > > by AdAware & Spybot which corrected it completely. This time nothing
    > > works.
    > > My Virus checker is up to date, online access is firewalled, a virus scan
    > > is
    > > clear, AdAware & Spybot are clear, I have run CHKDSK & RegClean and
    > > restored
    > > to an earlier point but to no avail. I cannot defrag because the system
    > > tells me I have insufficient space. Can anyone help please?
    > >
    > > Thank you!
    >

    > Are the files in the root directory? If so put them into directories as
    > there are a limited number of directory entries for the root and can give
    > this problem

    Run CCleaner (freeware-Google for it) and delete unnecessary file (internet,
    temp etc.). Turn off System Restore (this will delete all system restore
    files thus freeing up space), right click on the desktop, select Properties,
    select Screensaver tab, select Power button, select Hibernate tab and
    uncheck it. When you restart your computer this will delete the
    hiberfil.sys file which can be enormous. Run Defrag. Turn on system
    restore, etc.

    > My data files are all organised in folders within My Documents or Shared
    > Documents (I have my laptop connected via a wireless network)
    >
    > "Alan Smith" wrote:
    >

    >> "ChristineB" <ChristineB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a 120 GB HD with about 40 GB of data but my system is telling me
    >> >my
    >> >HD
    >> > is full. This happened once before when an automatic update caused
    >> > system
    >> > problems. On that occasion I ran CHKDSK which "found" about 20 GB
    >> > followed
    >> > by AdAware & Spybot which corrected it completely. This time nothing
    >> > works.
    >> > My Virus checker is up to date, online access is firewalled, a virus
    >> > scan
    >> > is
    >> > clear, AdAware & Spybot are clear, I have run CHKDSK & RegClean and
    >> > restored
    >> > to an earlier point but to no avail. I cannot defrag because the
    >> > system
    >> > tells me I have insufficient space. Can anyone help please?
    >> >
    >> > Thank you!
    >>

    >> Are the files in the root directory? If so put them into directories as
    >> there are a limited number of directory entries for the root and can give
    >> this problem

    I've tried that but no success - deleting files is not affecting the reported
    disk usage so I cannot run defrag. Chkdsk /v reports that there is free
    space referenced as allocated and advises running chkdsk /f but that is not
    clearing it - I think it is producing a message but it is too quick to read
    before the system reboots. The problem is not that the disk is actually full
    but that it thinks it is. Thanks for the pointer to CCleaner - much more
    user friendly than the MS option.

    "Fitz" wrote:

    > Run CCleaner (freeware-Google for it) and delete unnecessary file (internet,
    > temp etc.). Turn off System Restore (this will delete all system restore
    > files thus freeing up space), right click on the desktop, select Properties,
    > select Screensaver tab, select Power button, select Hibernate tab and
    > uncheck it. When you restart your computer this will delete the
    > hiberfil.sys file which can be enormous. Run Defrag. Turn on system
    > restore, etc.
    >

    > "ChristineB" <ChristineB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My data files are all organised in folders within My Documents or Shared
    > > Documents (I have my laptop connected via a wireless network)
    > >
    > > "Alan Smith" wrote:
    > >

    > >> "ChristineB" <ChristineB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > >> Are the files in the root directory? If so put them into directories as
    > >> there are a limited number of directory entries for the root and can give
    > >> this problem

    Have you turned on the ability to see any hidden and system files in case
    there are things you don't see?

    tools, folder options, view, advanced settings

    > I've tried that but no success - deleting files is not affecting the
    > reported
    > disk usage so I cannot run defrag. Chkdsk /v reports that there is free
    > space referenced as allocated and advises running chkdsk /f but that is
    > not
    > clearing it - I think it is producing a message but it is too quick to
    > read
    > before the system reboots. The problem is not that the disk is actually
    > full
    > but that it thinks it is. Thanks for the pointer to CCleaner - much more
    > user friendly than the MS option.
    >
    > "Fitz" wrote:
    >
    >> Run CCleaner (freeware-Google for it) and delete unnecessary file
    >> (internet,
    >> temp etc.). Turn off System Restore (this will delete all system restore
    >> files thus freeing up space), right click on the desktop, select
    >> Properties,
    >> select Screensaver tab, select Power button, select Hibernate tab and
    >> uncheck it. When you restart your computer this will delete the
    >> hiberfil.sys file which can be enormous. Run Defrag. Turn on system
    >> restore, etc.
    >>

    >> "ChristineB" <ChristineB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My data files are all organised in folders within My Documents or
    >> > Shared
    >> > Documents (I have my laptop connected via a wireless network)

    Yes I did have hidden files displayed - I also have a disk directory utility
    which identifies files and directory sizes so knew that it was an error as
    opposed to a genuinely full disk, and chkdsk confirmed that there was free
    space designated as allocated although wasn't clearing it. Any files I
    deleted made little difference so I decided to take more drastic action and
    deleted a 10 GB laptop backup file. That seems to have done the trick in
    that the properties now show 66 GB free instead of 189 MB and chkdsk now runs
    ok.

    I'd really like to find out what is causing this corruption - while XP
    reports the drive as full to the extent that the normal utilities do not run
    it makes the system potentially unstable.

    "Alan Smith" wrote:

    > Have you turned on the ability to see any hidden and system files in case
    > there are things you don't see?
    >
    > tools, folder options, view, advanced settings
    >
    > "ChristineB" <ChristineB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've tried that but no success - deleting files is not affecting the
    > > reported
    > > disk usage so I cannot run defrag. Chkdsk /v reports that there is free
    > > space referenced as allocated and advises running chkdsk /f but that is
    > > not
    > > clearing it - I think it is producing a message but it is too quick to
    > > read
    > > before the system reboots. The problem is not that the disk is actually
    > > full
    > > but that it thinks it is. Thanks for the pointer to CCleaner - much more
    > > user friendly than the MS option.
    > >
    > > "Fitz" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Run CCleaner (freeware-Google for it) and delete unnecessary file
    > >> (internet,
    > >> temp etc.). Turn off System Restore (this will delete all system restore
    > >> files thus freeing up space), right click on the desktop, select
    > >> Properties,
    > >> select Screensaver tab, select Power button, select Hibernate tab and
    > >> uncheck it. When you restart your computer this will delete the
    > >> hiberfil.sys file which can be enormous. Run Defrag. Turn on system
    > >> restore, etc.
    > >>

    > >> "ChristineB" <ChristineB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I'm having a similar problem after using Partition Magic 8.0 to add 5GB
    to an existing 5GB partition, yet afterwards it still shows I only have
    27MB available. However, it should be noted that I copied the
    partition over from another disk that seemed to be failing into a
    larger partition, so this was an existing problem.

    What appears to be happening is that XP is creating hidden system files
    (named 0, P, A, G), three of which are 1,572,072KB and the last of
    about 500MB to fill in up to the 27MB mark. The only apparent reason
    for their existence is to fill the space up so there's only 27MB left,
    which makes no sense at all.

    There's no apparent way to delete the files. If someone could tell me
    how to fix this, or even some rational explanation for why this
    happpens, it would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Michael

    I've always tried to avoid creating new partitions preferring to install a
    secondary hard drive but curiously my second HD (120 GB) corrupted after I
    had "fixed" my main HD in that it had not correctly deleted files, so treated
    directories as unreadable. In this case chkdsk did correct the problem,
    helpfully reinstating over 20GB of data that I had laboriously deleted! I
    think this error was coincidental to my initial error but paranoia sets in
    after a while!

    Chkdsk works amazingly well but seems to need a certain amount of free space
    in order to correct everything. Have you tried running chkdsk on the problem
    partition? I think the problem in my case is with what I assume is a
    registry file that "tells" the system how much space is free on the disk and
    which obviously "thought" there was less space available than there was.
    Although chkdsk identified the problem it did not correct it until I had
    deleted my 10 GB backup file and then "miraculously found" the lost space.

    "n6wav" wrote:

    > I'm having a similar problem after using Partition Magic 8.0 to add 5GB
    > to an existing 5GB partition, yet afterwards it still shows I only have
    > 27MB available. However, it should be noted that I copied the
    > partition over from another disk that seemed to be failing into a
    > larger partition, so this was an existing problem.
    >
    > What appears to be happening is that XP is creating hidden system files
    > (named 0, P, A, G), three of which are 1,572,072KB and the last of
    > about 500MB to fill in up to the 27MB mark. The only apparent reason
    > for their existence is to fill the space up so there's only 27MB left,
    > which makes no sense at all.
    >
    > There's no apparent way to delete the files. If someone could tell me
    > how to fix this, or even some rational explanation for why this
    > happpens, it would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Michael

Windows XP