Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 is Crashing

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
July 13, 2010 4:18:50 AM

Hi everyone,
I thought the hard part of my first build was going to be the hardware. That wasn't bad at all as far as I know. The hard part seems to be setup and software, and getting Windows to stop crashing and restarting.

After posting, I went into the bios and set the boot sequence to boot from the cd which it did, and then I tried to install Windows. I had several failed attempts, automatic restarts, and blue screens at first. A friend suggested I remove some memory, that W7 has had some history of installation problems with too much memory. I removed 6 of the 12 gig and it finally installed normally. I then reconfigured the boot sequence to the HD and then the DVD, and saved and exited. I was told this Bios default configuration was sufficient until I got Windows installed.

During my next session the next day, Windows downloaded and installed its updates. All went well till it hit the configuring stage. My monitor went black and Windows restarted automatically with the blue screen message that it unproperly shut down. (The same screen appeared during the failed installation attempts.) Since then, after startup, Windows goes dark with no warning and either automatically restarts, or I get the "blue screen of death" with the warning "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to avoid damage to your computer."
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. During another crash the Page Fault line simply had WIN32K.SYS. It then goes on to say "Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed, (as far as I know, they are) disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing" etc.

My system has the following: An Asus P6T motherboard, 6, 2 gig each, OCZ PC3 12800 1.65v 1600 DIMMS for a total of 12 gig, ( I removed the correct 3 dimms according to the MB manual to install W7 and have not replaced them yet so I am working with just 6 gig), a Seagate Barracuda 1 TB sata HD, and an HP sata DVD drive with cables correctly installed, and a Corsair 750 W PSU. I hope this is enough detail of my specs and what I have done so far. For the record, I am new to this, and know very little about configuring and setup. A friend told me it would be a "rewarding experience" which it has so far. :??:  Thanks. Regards, Tom

More about : windows crashing

a c 215 $ Windows 7
July 13, 2010 4:25:15 AM

Run MemTest86+ on those ram sticks. Also make sure the ram voltage is actually set to 1.65V in the BIOS.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
July 13, 2010 4:48:59 AM

^+1 to Prophecy.

Also, a P6T motherboard implies you're using a Core i7 CPU. DIMM modules for that CPU should normally be 1.5V, not 1.65V. The Core i7 CPU has a maximum voltage limit of 1.65V, so the modules should work, but that voltage is right on the edge and you definitely want to make sure that it doesn't go any higher at the risk of damaging the CPU.

See: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-i7nehalem-memory...
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2010 8:11:57 AM

Agree with above, sounds like the RAM is faulty or not configured correctly.
m
l
a c 253 $ Windows 7
July 13, 2010 3:34:29 PM

Good advice on checking the memory settings. Also, what GPU are you using? Are you OCing anything? If so, stop until you stabilize the system.

How are you doing on system and CPU temps? What HSF are you using, stock or aftermarket?
m
l
!