mark

I cannot seem to be able to get beyond the "Examining hardware..." prompt
when booting from my OEM-type XP Pro CD.

I need to install to a new HDD because the old one is failing. I have two
CD drives in my PC, one is a CD-R/W, the other is just a CD-ROM, both less
tha two years old and the same used to initially install the OS and both
exhibit this problem.

I have tried another CD-ROM, disconnected the about-to-fail HDD. moved the
CD drives to the other IDE channel, reconfigured in about all possible
combinations with no success.

Short of another MB, any suggestions?

Mark

Mark

Disconnect printers, scanners, everything except for screen, keyboard and
mouse.. report back if no joy still..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I cannot seem to be able to get beyond the "Examining hardware..." prompt
> when booting from my OEM-type XP Pro CD.
>
> I need to install to a new HDD because the old one is failing. I have two
> CD drives in my PC, one is a CD-R/W, the other is just a CD-ROM, both less
> tha two years old and the same used to initially install the OS and both
> exhibit this problem.
>
> I have tried another CD-ROM, disconnected the about-to-fail HDD. moved the
> CD drives to the other IDE channel, reconfigured in about all possible
> combinations with no success.
>
> Short of another MB, any suggestions?
>
> Mark

mark

This suggestion hit the problem directly. Problem solved!
Mark

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Mark
>
> Disconnect printers, scanners, everything except for screen, keyboard and
> mouse.. report back if no joy still..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept
> it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland
>

> "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I cannot seem to be able to get beyond the "Examining hardware..." prompt
> > when booting from my OEM-type XP Pro CD.
> >
> > I need to install to a new HDD because the old one is failing. I have two
> > CD drives in my PC, one is a CD-R/W, the other is just a CD-ROM, both less
> > tha two years old and the same used to initially install the OS and both
> > exhibit this problem.
> >
> > I have tried another CD-ROM, disconnected the about-to-fail HDD. moved the
> > CD drives to the other IDE channel, reconfigured in about all possible
> > combinations with no success.
> >
> > Short of another MB, any suggestions?
> >
> > Mark

Mark

Good to hear.. good luck with the rest of your setup..