Uninstalling MSN Messenger 4.0

How do I uninstall the original MSN Messenger 4.0 that was included with XP?
I don't see it in the add/delete software ..

I have upgraded to MSN Messenger 7.0 but it did not overwrite the 4.0 so now
I have BOTH! How do I get rid of the old version?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about uninstalling messenger

    Mike

    MSN Messenger 4.0 was not and is not supplied with XP.. Windows Messenger is
    supplied with XP..

    Go to Control Panel.. Add/Remove Programs.. Add/Remove Components..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    > How do I uninstall the original MSN Messenger 4.0 that was included with
    > XP?
    > I don't see it in the add/delete software ..
    >
    > I have upgraded to MSN Messenger 7.0 but it did not overwrite the 4.0 so
    > now
    > I have BOTH! How do I get rid of the old version?
    >
    > Thanks

    actually I just found the solution .. it's not actually Messenger but that
    other older windows program . . i just changed the preferences so it won't
    autorun because it's included in the XP install there is no add/remove for
    this

    > actually I just found the solution .. it's not actually Messenger but that
    > other older windows program . . I just changed the preferences so it
    > won't
    > autorun because it's included in the XP install there is no add/remove for
    > this

    Talk about wanting to "shoot the messenger."

    It sure is confusing having a Messenger Service, MS Messenger and Windows
    Messenger all compatible with Windows XP.

    But if you are saying that there is no Windows Messenger (as opposed to MSN
    Messenger) listed among the "Add or Remove Programs" (Control Panel applet)
    then perhaps you misunderstood Mike Hall's post. Or perhaps I misunderstood
    you <g>.

    Once you have launched the "Add or Remove Programs" applet in the Control
    Panel check out the left pane where you will see an icon with the following
    description Add/Remove Windows Components.

    Well if you click on this icon (or button) and scroll down the list of
    components all the way to the bottom (or near the bottom) you should see
    "Windows Messenger".

    Of course if you could uncheck this component (Windows Messenger) and try to
    uninstall it I am not sure this works - as I have never tried it.

    The tact most people take is to simply disable it using the instructions
    from Microsoft.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B302089
    Or some other web site.

    MSN Messenger vs. Windows Messenger
    There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 6
    has support for display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different
    interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications
    services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you, and a
    matter of personal choice (and based upon your needs and likes), however one
    thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows
    XP in order for
    MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard,
    Application Sharing, etc.).

    MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member
    Profiles, MSN Mobile, etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around
    Windows technologies (Exchange Server, Office Live Communications Server,
    Windows Netmeeting, etc.).

    Both clients however can make use of Microsoft technologies, like the .NET
    Messenger service, .NET Passport and .NET Alerts.

    Hope this helps clear up at least some of the confusion.

    --
    Michael

    I assume you meant Windows Messenger.

    MSN Messenger does *NOT* replace Windows Messenger.
    Getting rid of Windows Messenger will break Remote Assistance and
    Whiteboarding.

    Instead, set Windows Messenger not to start up (you can do this within
    Windows Messenger, and within Outlook Express)

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    > How do I uninstall the original MSN Messenger 4.0 that was included with
    > XP?
    > I don't see it in the add/delete software ..
    >
    > I have upgraded to MSN Messenger 7.0 but it did not overwrite the 4.0 so
    > now
    > I have BOTH! How do I get rid of the old version?
    >
    > Thanks

    Michael

    You understood me well..

    I assumed, and reasonably so, that a person wanting to be rid of 'that
    other older windows program' would at the very least look for the name of
    the program in the list.. it's not like there is little difference between
    the word 'Windows' and the acronym 'MSN', even though the applications have
    a similar appearance..

    --

    "Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> actually I just found the solution .. it's not actually Messenger but
    >> that
    >> other older windows program . . I just changed the preferences so it
    >> won't
    >> autorun because it's included in the XP install there is no add/remove
    >> for
    >> this
    >>

    > Talk about wanting to "shoot the messenger."
    >
    > It sure is confusing having a Messenger Service, MS Messenger and Windows
    > Messenger all compatible with Windows XP.
    >
    > But if you are saying that there is no Windows Messenger (as opposed to
    > MSN Messenger) listed among the "Add or Remove Programs" (Control Panel
    > applet) then perhaps you misunderstood Mike Hall's post. Or perhaps I
    > misunderstood you <g>.
    >
    > Once you have launched the "Add or Remove Programs" applet in the Control
    > Panel check out the left pane where you will see an icon with the
    > following description Add/Remove Windows Components.
    >
    > Well if you click on this icon (or button) and scroll down the list of
    > components all the way to the bottom (or near the bottom) you should see
    > "Windows Messenger".
    >
    > Of course if you could uncheck this component (Windows Messenger) and try
    > to uninstall it I am not sure this works - as I have never tried it.
    >
    > The tact most people take is to simply disable it using the instructions
    > from Microsoft.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B302089
    > Or some other web site.
    >
    > MSN Messenger vs. Windows Messenger
    > There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger
    > 6 has support for display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different
    > interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based
    > communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up
    > to you, and a matter of personal choice (and based upon your needs and
    > likes), however one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be
    > installed on Windows XP in order for
    > MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard,
    > Application Sharing, etc.).
    >
    > MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member
    > Profiles, MSN Mobile, etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around
    > Windows technologies (Exchange Server, Office Live Communications Server,
    > Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    >
    > Both clients however can make use of Microsoft technologies, like the .NET
    > Messenger service, .NET Passport and .NET Alerts.
    >
    > Hope this helps clear up at least some of the confusion.
    >
    > --
    > Michael

Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP