Uninstalling MSN Messenger 4.0

Mike

Splendid

How do I uninstall the original MSN Messenger 4.0 that was included with XP?
I don't see it in the add/delete software ..

I have upgraded to MSN Messenger 7.0 but it did not overwrite the 4.0 so now
I have BOTH! How do I get rid of the old version?

Thanks

Mike

MSN Messenger 4.0 was not and is not supplied with XP.. Windows Messenger is
supplied with XP..

Go to Control Panel.. Add/Remove Programs.. Add/Remove Components..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

> How do I uninstall the original MSN Messenger 4.0 that was included with
> XP?
> I don't see it in the add/delete software ..
>
> I have upgraded to MSN Messenger 7.0 but it did not overwrite the 4.0 so
> now
> I have BOTH! How do I get rid of the old version?
>
> Thanks

Mike

Splendid

actually I just found the solution .. it's not actually Messenger but that
other older windows program . . i just changed the preferences so it won't
autorun because it's included in the XP install there is no add/remove for
this

> actually I just found the solution .. it's not actually Messenger but that
> other older windows program . . I just changed the preferences so it
> won't
> autorun because it's included in the XP install there is no add/remove for
> this

Talk about wanting to "shoot the messenger."

It sure is confusing having a Messenger Service, MS Messenger and Windows
Messenger all compatible with Windows XP.

But if you are saying that there is no Windows Messenger (as opposed to MSN
Messenger) listed among the "Add or Remove Programs" (Control Panel applet)
then perhaps you misunderstood Mike Hall's post. Or perhaps I misunderstood
you <g>.

Once you have launched the "Add or Remove Programs" applet in the Control
Panel check out the left pane where you will see an icon with the following
description Add/Remove Windows Components.

Well if you click on this icon (or button) and scroll down the list of
components all the way to the bottom (or near the bottom) you should see
"Windows Messenger".

Of course if you could uncheck this component (Windows Messenger) and try to
uninstall it I am not sure this works - as I have never tried it.

The tact most people take is to simply disable it using the instructions
from Microsoft.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B302089
Or some other web site.

MSN Messenger vs. Windows Messenger
There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 6
has support for display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different
interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications
services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you, and a
matter of personal choice (and based upon your needs and likes), however one
thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows
XP in order for
MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard,
Application Sharing, etc.).

MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member
Profiles, MSN Mobile, etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around
Windows technologies (Exchange Server, Office Live Communications Server,
Windows Netmeeting, etc.).

Both clients however can make use of Microsoft technologies, like the .NET
Messenger service, .NET Passport and .NET Alerts.

Hope this helps clear up at least some of the confusion.

--
Michael

I assume you meant Windows Messenger.

MSN Messenger does *NOT* replace Windows Messenger.
Getting rid of Windows Messenger will break Remote Assistance and
Whiteboarding.

Instead, set Windows Messenger not to start up (you can do this within
Windows Messenger, and within Outlook Express)

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

> How do I uninstall the original MSN Messenger 4.0 that was included with
> XP?
> I don't see it in the add/delete software ..
>
> I have upgraded to MSN Messenger 7.0 but it did not overwrite the 4.0 so
> now
> I have BOTH! How do I get rid of the old version?
>
> Thanks

Michael

You understood me well..

I assumed, and reasonably so, that a person wanting to be rid of 'that
other older windows program' would at the very least look for the name of
the program in the list.. it's not like there is little difference between
the word 'Windows' and the acronym 'MSN', even though the applications have
a similar appearance..