XP Firewall is "off" by default

Everytime I boot up, the firewall is off. I have the box checked next to my
connection in Network Connection Settings box under the "advanced" tab.
Thoughts?

Thanks for your response.
10 answers Last reply
More about firewall default

    Possibly you're infected with a virus/spyware and the virus/spyware changed
    a setting within your registry.

    --
    Nocturnal

    http://www.spywaretalk.org

    "Rawlink" <Rawlink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Everytime I boot up, the firewall is off. I have the box checked next to
    > my
    > connection in Network Connection Settings box under the "advanced" tab.
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks for your response.

    At start up,tap the F8 key,select safe mode with networking,enter xp as the
    administrator,open network connections,set to activate the firewall.You
    would'nt
    have that problem if SP2 was installed.

    "Rawlink" wrote:

    > Everytime I boot up, the firewall is off. I have the box checked next to my
    > connection in Network Connection Settings box under the "advanced" tab.
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks for your response.

    Already got SP2 in (ever heard of "Automatic Updates?").

    Thanks anyway.

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > At start up,tap the F8 key,select safe mode with networking,enter xp as the
    > administrator,open network connections,set to activate the firewall.You
    > would'nt
    > have that problem if SP2 was installed.
    >
    > "Rawlink" wrote:
    >
    > > Everytime I boot up, the firewall is off. I have the box checked next to my
    > > connection in Network Connection Settings box under the "advanced" tab.
    > > Thoughts?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your response.

    Could be. I've got two users...both administrative users (wife and self).
    Her's doesn't have this problem. Guess I'll let the Geek Squad at Best Buy
    have a crack at it.

    Thanks for your response.

    Rawlink wrote:
    > Already got SP2 in (ever heard of "Automatic Updates?").
    >
    > Thanks anyway.

    This is Andrew the Eejit - he hasn't heard of anything. You would be well
    advised to ignore anything he has to say. He even quoted MS as saying that
    you cannot upgrade from Home to Pro - he's a complete idiot. His mission is
    to destroy as many computers as possible.

    Rawlink wrote:
    > Could be. I've got two users...both administrative users (wife and
    > self). Her's doesn't have this problem. Guess I'll let the Geek
    > Squad at Best Buy have a crack at it.
    >
    > Thanks for your response.

    If you value you your computer - and, more pertinently, your data - you be
    well advised to take it to an independent expert, *NOT* BestBuy or CompUSA.
    They overcharge and do *NOT* (IME) know what they're doing. They will format
    your hard drive without backing up your data and I guarantee your system
    will come back in a much worse state than it went in. I've heard stories of
    computers that went in for a simple reinstallation (because the owner was
    too nervous to do it themselves) and coming back with components missing
    (RAM, graphics card, hard drive, even the CPU in one instance) and then
    BestBuy denying responsibility.

    Before anyone says anything, I am in the UK, we do not have BestBuy, we have
    PC World and, IMO, there's no difference.

    FYI, 'hers' doesn't require an apostrophe (well you wouldn't write 'hi's' -
    would you. Neither does 'yours' by the way).

    What is your mission/excuse? You are just as stupid.
    IFC
    > Rawlink wrote:
    >> Already got SP2 in (ever heard of "Automatic Updates?").
    >>
    >> Thanks anyway.
    >
    > This is Andrew the Eejit - he hasn't heard of anything. You would be well
    > advised to ignore anything he has to say. He even quoted MS as saying that
    > you cannot upgrade from Home to Pro - he's a complete idiot. His mission
    > is to destroy as many computers as possible.

    FYI no one cares if hers requires an apostrophe.
    IFC
    > Rawlink wrote:
    >> Could be. I've got two users...both administrative users (wife and
    >> self). Her's doesn't have this problem. Guess I'll let the Geek
    >> Squad at Best Buy have a crack at it.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your response.
    >
    > If you value you your computer - and, more pertinently, your data - you be
    > well advised to take it to an independent expert, *NOT* BestBuy or
    > CompUSA. They overcharge and do *NOT* (IME) know what they're doing. They
    > will format your hard drive without backing up your data and I guarantee
    > your system will come back in a much worse state than it went in. I've
    > heard stories of computers that went in for a simple reinstallation
    > (because the owner was too nervous to do it themselves) and coming back
    > with components missing (RAM, graphics card, hard drive, even the CPU in
    > one instance) and then BestBuy denying responsibility.
    >
    > Before anyone says anything, I am in the UK, we do not have BestBuy, we
    > have PC World and, IMO, there's no difference.
    >
    > FYI, 'hers' doesn't require an apostrophe (well you wouldn't write
    > 'hi's' - would you. Neither does 'yours' by the way).

    Thanks. Good job on the grammer.

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

    > Rawlink wrote:
    > > Could be. I've got two users...both administrative users (wife and
    > > self). Her's doesn't have this problem. Guess I'll let the Geek
    > > Squad at Best Buy have a crack at it.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your response.
    >
    > If you value you your computer - and, more pertinently, your data - you be
    > well advised to take it to an independent expert, *NOT* BestBuy or CompUSA.
    > They overcharge and do *NOT* (IME) know what they're doing. They will format
    > your hard drive without backing up your data and I guarantee your system
    > will come back in a much worse state than it went in. I've heard stories of
    > computers that went in for a simple reinstallation (because the owner was
    > too nervous to do it themselves) and coming back with components missing
    > (RAM, graphics card, hard drive, even the CPU in one instance) and then
    > BestBuy denying responsibility.
    >
    > Before anyone says anything, I am in the UK, we do not have BestBuy, we have
    > PC World and, IMO, there's no difference.
    >
    > FYI, 'hers' doesn't require an apostrophe (well you wouldn't write 'hi's' -
    > would you. Neither does 'yours' by the way).

    Ha, Ha, Ha......

    "Gary" wrote:

    > FYI no one cares if hers requires an apostrophe.
    > IFC
    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
    > > Rawlink wrote:
    > >> Could be. I've got two users...both administrative users (wife and
    > >> self). Her's doesn't have this problem. Guess I'll let the Geek
    > >> Squad at Best Buy have a crack at it.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your response.
    > >
    > > If you value you your computer - and, more pertinently, your data - you be
    > > well advised to take it to an independent expert, *NOT* BestBuy or
    > > CompUSA. They overcharge and do *NOT* (IME) know what they're doing. They
    > > will format your hard drive without backing up your data and I guarantee
    > > your system will come back in a much worse state than it went in. I've
    > > heard stories of computers that went in for a simple reinstallation
    > > (because the owner was too nervous to do it themselves) and coming back
    > > with components missing (RAM, graphics card, hard drive, even the CPU in
    > > one instance) and then BestBuy denying responsibility.
    > >
    > > Before anyone says anything, I am in the UK, we do not have BestBuy, we
    > > have PC World and, IMO, there's no difference.
    > >
    > > FYI, 'hers' doesn't require an apostrophe (well you wouldn't write
    > > 'hi's' - would you. Neither does 'yours' by the way).

Firewalls Windows XP