~1200$ Gaming laptop. Which one do I choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

captain_Woof

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Hello everyone, :hello:

I'm getting a new laptop in the near future (about February when im going to Korea where laptops are cheap) and I need to decide on which laptop to get. I want a laptop, because im not at home for about 1/4 of the year, so I want it portable, but I dont mind if it weighs 5kg or is huge. Just enough to put it in a suitcase or something. :D So here is what Im thinking of:

Asus G55vw (1220$):
15.6" FHD laptop. GTX660m, i7-3630, 8gb ram, 500gb 7200rpm.
Pros: Nice matte display, good build quality, looks nice, great cooling.
Cons: Audio not the best (is this true?), just a GTX660m (No optimus)
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g55vwdh71-p-4971.html

Sager NP9130/Clevo P151EM1 (1185$)
GTX670mx, 15.6" mattte FHD, i7-3610, 8gb ram, 500gb
Pros: Gtx670mx (With optimus), slightly cheaper, No serious cons
Cons: Not the best looking, Cooling?, Not about build quality, though better than MSI I think.
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9130-gaming-laptop-clevo-p151em1-p-4340.html

Msi GX60 (1200$)
15.6" FHD, hd7970m, A10 CPU, 8gb ram, 750gb,
Pros: Excellent GPU, larger hard drive than the others
Cons: Build quality?, Cooling?, keyboard, THAT PROCESSOR = EVIL!!!
http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gx60-1ac021us-p-5009.html

(Websites just for reference. Buying in S. Korea)

Overall, I will be keeping this laptop for at least 4 or 5 years, so I need good cooling and build quality for long lifespan.
Probably wont take the Msi, because I've heard a lot of bad reviews for that processor (easily beaten by an I5, about the same as an I3). I've listed 15.6" laptops here, but 17" ones are also good.

Also, SSD's are a bit on the expensive side for the space you get and I will be filling it up with quite a lot of stuff. If any of you got a better laptop for the price, then just say it (with a link to specs and price is preferred).

Thank you! :D

talltm

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Almost every nvidia graphic card have optimus technology so no worries there. But given the specs, I think there's no doubt that the Sager is a better choice. GTX 670mx is about as good as laptop graphics get and for this relatively less price you also get a matte FHD screen which is really cool.
About cooling, you must keep in mind that gaming with a laptop is gonna put a lot of pressure on your hardware which means high temperatures. So no matter what brand you buy, you're gonna need a cooling pad to ensure everything stays cool.

ilovecomputers10

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I am also looking for a laptop for the same reason as you. I have done a bit of research and i would look at the msi GE60. Probably the best looking gaming laptop i have seen and also very thin with good specs.

The sager also looks good.

captain_Woof

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Thanks for the replies. The Sager does look like the best option, but does anyone know about the actual build quality? And how about cooling? I know I will need a cooling pad, but when Im traveling I wont have one, which is about 1/4 of the year...

ilovecomputers10

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
No one can really tell you about the build quality unless they have actually bought the laptops themselves. The best option is to look at different reviews.

I did look at a review on youtube for someone who had the newer model of the Sager you mentioned above. However, he returned his laptop because he said that the headphone audio was really bad. When he returned, they said that there was nothing wrong with the laptop and that the headphone audio was working how it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.