When I start XP the folder "my computer" is shown rather than the desktop.
How do I get Windows to start at my desktop?

Hi,

A bar startup entry is likely the source of the trouble. You can use the
msconfig tool to isolate it.

How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP [Q310560]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/