Slow startup after reinstalling scanner driver

Hi, my scanner's driver was corrupted requiring a uninstall/reinstall.
However after reinstall, my computer is very slow to boot up compared to
before driver problem. If I uninstall driver boot up is faster as before the
driver corruption problem. My start up is routine till it gets to the
desktop. At the desktop my start bar is not there nor are my desktop icons.
40 or 40 seconds later my desktop gets populated as normal. I've defrag &
cleaned the drive.
Any ideas?

TIA

shastamutt,
Please post make & model of scanner.
How is start-up in safe mode? Sounds like a left over registry key from
your hosed install. If you uninstall the driver, then search the
registry for orphaned keys, do they show up?
More info please.
Thanks,
Treeman

--
Treeman

Thanks for response,
Cannon (CanoScan D1250U2F) scanner w/ ScanGear CS-U 1.2(?)driver. I've also
updated driver...
Startup in Safe mode is normal, no slow start.
Each time I uninstall driver my start up returns to normal times. But once I
install scanner driver start up problems appear.
Not sure how to search the registry for orphaned keys, any hints on this? I
do know to make a backup of registry so if things get messed up I can recover.

Thanks again..

"shastamutt" wrote:

> Thanks for response,
> Cannon (CanoScan D1250U2F) scanner w/ ScanGear CS-U 1.2(?)driver. I've also
> updated driver...
> Startup in Safe mode is normal, no slow start.
> Each time I uninstall driver my start up returns to normal times. But once I
> install scanner driver start up problems appear.
> Not sure how to search the registry for orphaned keys, any hints on this? I
> do know to make a backup of registry so if things get messed up I can recover.
>
> Thanks again..

funny...
did the recent updates 3 days ago & my scanjet soft bombed out. My symptoms
look fairly similar: On boot, the os (XPPROSP2) tries to install the scanner
driver issuing a call to ntvdm 16-bit subsystem. The driver doesn't install
any more & ntvdm uses all processor time it can get. 5-10 minutes later the
system works properly except for the scanner. Starting any 16bit app spawns a
new ntvdm. Sadly, the install for the scanner appears to use ntvdm, probably
(I may be wrong here) to install twain16 / twunk16 & never even opens the
installer window. My camera, too, is using the twain i/f & doesn't work any
more. Even impossible to uninstall!
But here are the (hopefully) good news for you:
Try to execute 'command.com'.
If this doesn't work, use regedit to first delete and then re-create

HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/VirtualDeviceDrivers/VDD as
REG_MULTI_SZ. The value must be left empty.
(found this somewhere in microsoft KB, but forgot where)

maybe, perhaps after a reboot, Your PC works again.

For my PC, this didn't work because there is probably an issue between the
scanjet soft & the os I wasn't able to resolve. ANY HELP APPRECIATED!

Helge.

Thanks Helge, but checking registry my REG_MULTI_SZ value is empty (value not
set).
While in regedit I did clean out all references to my scanner but again no
help!
Once again if I delete my scanner driver start up returns to normal...
Any other ideas appreciated!
Shastamutt

"Helge" wrote:

> "shastamutt" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for response,
> > Cannon (CanoScan D1250U2F) scanner w/ ScanGear CS-U 1.2(?)driver. I've also
> > updated driver...
> > Startup in Safe mode is normal, no slow start.
> > Each time I uninstall driver my start up returns to normal times. But once I
> > install scanner driver start up problems appear.
> > Not sure how to search the registry for orphaned keys, any hints on this? I
> > do know to make a backup of registry so if things get messed up I can recover.
> >
> > Thanks again..
>
> funny...
> did the recent updates 3 days ago & my scanjet soft bombed out. My symptoms
> look fairly similar: On boot, the os (XPPROSP2) tries to install the scanner
> driver issuing a call to ntvdm 16-bit subsystem. The driver doesn't install
> any more & ntvdm uses all processor time it can get. 5-10 minutes later the
> system works properly except for the scanner. Starting any 16bit app spawns a
> new ntvdm. Sadly, the install for the scanner appears to use ntvdm, probably
> (I may be wrong here) to install twain16 / twunk16 & never even opens the
> installer window. My camera, too, is using the twain i/f & doesn't work any
> more. Even impossible to uninstall!
> But here are the (hopefully) good news for you:
> Try to execute 'command.com'.
> If this doesn't work, use regedit to first delete and then re-create
>
> HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/VirtualDeviceDrivers/VDD as
> REG_MULTI_SZ. The value must be left empty.
> (found this somewhere in microsoft KB, but forgot where)
>
> maybe, perhaps after a reboot, Your PC works again.
>
> For my PC, this didn't work because there is probably an issue between the
> scanjet soft & the os I wasn't able to resolve. ANY HELP APPRECIATED!
>
> Helge.

Take a look here, maybe applies to your problem;
'Troubleshooting MS-DOS-based programs in Windows XP'
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314106)
Best,
Treeman

--