Sign in with
Your question

How to enable features on locked school laptops.

Last response: in Windows 7
July 13, 2010 6:32:09 AM

Hello all, hope u might have some ideas on how i can get past a few things on some school laptops.
This week our school are distributing Dell Inspiron 13z's, with 8 hour batteries to us.

There are two accounts on the actual machines themselves one being an Administrator account for home use when installing drivers for devices we have and also a network account with our own personal network drive attached to it on the school server.

Now, apparently they tell us if we do install ANY software on the administrator account on our laptops it is traceable back to them. Is this true or not?

Also is it possible to re enable the Aero theme on the limited user account without going via the Personalisation window in Windows 7? also another thing they are running Windows 7 Pro.

Our desktop backgrounds on the Limited Account are also disabled and i was wondering how i could put one on there via a reg hack or whatever you guys come up with , but also a main concern is the ability to trace software installation on the admin account, and also if it is possible to make it untracable or a possible virtual drive or partition to be made on the laptops.

Basically they are locked up an we need some freedom. Ideas and theory are gladly appreciated people. thankyou very much!

cheers to all . :p 
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2010 6:55:40 AM

Make the limited account have administrator rights. Google is your friend.
m
l
July 13, 2010 7:02:43 AM

they are network administered though because they connect the school server for authentication for the wireless connection, but I will try it soon to see if it works :) 
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2010 7:11:10 AM

I just tried it now and the other user account isnt actually showing up in the administrator account config user window. soo yeahh, any other ideas guys> hahaha
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2010 2:19:27 PM

Don't forget to put the piece of tape over the camera so big brother can't spy on you.
m
l
a c 204 D Laptop
a c 352 $ Windows 7
July 13, 2010 2:28:45 PM

FYI, at most work places, messing around with equipment the way you are trying to do are grounds for dismissal. They put in the restrictions for a reason. You don't know how many issues IT pros have to deal with because people decided to visit Facebook or install some silly recipe toolbar that causes 4 hours of work re-building their system. We had one guy request a larger hard drive for his work-supplied laptop, when I checked it, disk space was low because his WoW installation on it was taking up 12 gig.
m
l
July 15, 2010 11:52:21 AM

yeah i know guys, but i only wanna change the background on my account and enable aero and put firefox on there, all that i need and im happy :D  hahaha, but yeah i wouddnt go that far putting WoW on it, thats a tad stupid
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 15, 2010 12:40:37 PM

If what you want to do is harmless, then just ask your sysadmin to do it for you. If he says "no" then repect that decision. Buy your own computer if you want to mess about with it.

It sound as if they are a lot cleverer than you - rest assured that they will be able to track anything you do.
m
l
a c 204 D Laptop
a c 352 $ Windows 7
July 15, 2010 1:38:33 PM

forzaitalia94 said:
yeah i know guys, but i only wanna change the background on my account and enable aero and put firefox on there, all that i need and im happy :D  hahaha, but yeah i wouddnt go that far putting WoW on it, thats a tad stupid

Check to make sure that Firerox does not damage anything else the PC will be used for. Many applications run off the web browser, and installing a new one that takes over as the default will cause issues. Chrome was/is terrible for that, it piggy-backed on a ton of otherwise harmless programs, and if someone did not uncheck it from the setup would make the PC unusable. Even uninstalling Chrome did not help. Firefox the same just not as bad as Chrome.

You have to understand that computers in a professional environment can't be treated like a home PC, the security settings are there for a reason. Where I work I always run into people who treat a laptop as their own, and then wonder where all of their iTunes songs went to when we had to wipe a computer.
m
l
!