I want to use a CD-RW like a big floppy. I want to rerecord modified files
as required. I want the resulting CD to be readable at any time on another
machine.

How can I do this? Using built-in XP utilities? Using Nero 5.5? Some other
software, preferably free?

Unfortunately, attempts to do this in the past failed. Either the CD was
unreadable on another machine or if I 'finished' the CD it was readable
elsewhere but could no longer be recorded.

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

"Madness is not a consequence of uncertainty, but of certainty." Nietzche

Ken Knecht wrote:
> I want to use a CD-RW like a big floppy. I want to rerecord modified
> files as required. I want the resulting CD to be readable at any time
> on another machine.
>
> How can I do this? Using built-in XP utilities? Using Nero 5.5? Some
> other software, preferably free?
>
> Unfortunately, attempts to do this in the past failed. Either the CD
> was unreadable on another machine or if I 'finished' the CD it was
> readable elsewhere but could no longer be recorded.

To use a CD "like a big floppy disk", you need packet writing software -
this is not included in Windows XP.

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

"Ken Knecht" <kenkknot@deruknot.com> wrote in message
>I want to use a CD-RW like a big floppy. I want to rerecord modified files
> as required. I want the resulting CD to be readable at any time on another
> machine.
>
> How can I do this? Using built-in XP utilities? Using Nero 5.5? Some other
> software, preferably free?
>
> Unfortunately, attempts to do this in the past failed. Either the CD was
> unreadable on another machine or if I 'finished' the CD it was readable
> elsewhere but could no longer be recorded.
>
> TIA
>

> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> "Madness is not a consequence of uncertainty, but of certainty." Nietzche

You need packet writing, Nero includes this- but it isn't universally
readable, only by machines with similar software (and it must be Nero, not
Roxio's etc).

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:47:31 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
wrote:

>"Ken Knecht" <kenkknot@deruknot.com> wrote in message
>>I want to use a CD-RW like a big floppy. I want to rerecord modified files
>> as required. I want the resulting CD to be readable at any time on another
>> machine.
>>
>> How can I do this? Using built-in XP utilities? Using Nero 5.5? Some other
>> software, preferably free?
>>
>> Unfortunately, attempts to do this in the past failed. Either the CD was
>> unreadable on another machine or if I 'finished' the CD it was readable
>> elsewhere but could no longer be recorded.
>>
>> TIA
>>

>> --
>> Untie the two knots to email me
>>
>> "Madness is not a consequence of uncertainty, but of certainty." Nietzche
>>

>You need packet writing, Nero includes this- but it isn't universally
>readable, only by machines with similar software (and it must be Nero, not
>Roxio's etc).

The last time I played with CD-RW disks, you couldn't rerecord
modified files without completely erasing the disk and starting over,
which is why I never used them. Has that changed? Unless I
misunderstand Ken's intent, but using a CD-RW like a floppy implies
changing a file or folder, without erasing the whole disk.

--
Needy

"Needy" <needhelp@me.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:47:31 +0100, "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email>
> wrote:
>

>>"Ken Knecht" <kenkknot@deruknot.com> wrote in message
>>>I want to use a CD-RW like a big floppy. I want to rerecord modified
>>>files
>>> as required. I want the resulting CD to be readable at any time on
>>> another
>>> machine.
>>>
>>> How can I do this? Using built-in XP utilities? Using Nero 5.5? Some
>>> other
>>> software, preferably free?
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, attempts to do this in the past failed. Either the CD was
>>> unreadable on another machine or if I 'finished' the CD it was readable
>>> elsewhere but could no longer be recorded.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>>> --
>>> Untie the two knots to email me
>>>
>>> "Madness is not a consequence of uncertainty, but of certainty."
>>> Nietzche
>>>

>>You need packet writing, Nero includes this- but it isn't universally
>>readable, only by machines with similar software (and it must be Nero, not
>>Roxio's etc).
>>

> The last time I played with CD-RW disks, you couldn't rerecord
> modified files without completely erasing the disk and starting over,
> which is why I never used them. Has that changed? Unless I
> misunderstand Ken's intent, but using a CD-RW like a floppy implies
> changing a file or folder, without erasing the whole disk.
>
> --
> Needy

Yes you are correct- you can delete files from a CDRW but the space remains
allocated until you reformat.

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

Needy wrote:

> The last time I played with CD-RW disks, you couldn't
> rerecord modified files without completely erasing
> the disk and starting over, which is why I never used
> them. Has that changed? Unless I misunderstand Ken's
> intent, but using a CD-RW like a floppy implies
> changing a file or folder, without erasing the whole disk.

I've never had any problems in that regard (using InCD), but
I didn't know (as someone said) that the space is not reused.

Cheers,

Cliff