Sign in with
Your question

Backup software for small business

Last response: in Business Computing
September 13, 2012 5:12:19 PM

Greetings. I'm looking to find a reliable backup solution for our desktops and laptops in the office. We had used the Symantec System Recovery, but they never sent us the correct license. After about 3 months of fighting with them, we're moving on. All I need is a simple backup software that works well with Windows machines, that can perform a scheduled full and incremental backup to a local storage server. Also having the backup files be encrypted is highly desirable.

Any thoughts on a decent backup software?
September 13, 2012 5:19:48 PM

Backup Exec

It's not cheap, but it works well.
September 13, 2012 6:30:11 PM

Microsoft' Windows Home Server. If you want to be on the supported platform (WHS is being phased out), get Server Essentials 2012, but it's much more expensive ($500 vs $100)
Related resources
September 14, 2012 7:20:39 AM

Have you considered using something like crash plan enterprise and only backing up to an onsite server (not using the web component).

Alternatively I've used retrospect for this as the single server licnese allows unlimited desktops to backup to it. Was very good at doing with it's smart incremental which pretty much builds an incremental based on previous backups and actual changes, means less network bandwidth and faster backups.
September 14, 2012 9:34:28 AM

If you're serious about your backups, I'll second Backup Exec
September 14, 2012 11:45:25 AM

There are many backup providers you can choose one of them.
September 14, 2012 11:57:17 AM

+1 for Backup Exec
September 14, 2012 2:18:21 PM

miken2137 said:
Greetings. I'm looking to find a reliable backup solution for our desktops and laptops in the office. We had used the Symantec System Recovery, but they never sent us the correct license. After about 3 months of fighting with them, we're moving on. All I need is a simple backup software that works well with Windows machines, that can perform a scheduled full and incremental backup to a local storage server. Also having the backup files be encrypted is highly desirable.

I am a Product Manager for Backup Exec at Symantec. I can help with your SSR licensing if you would like, or I can help you look at Backup Exec. Happy to do within the thread or via DM.

Let me know if I can help.

Matt Stephenson
October 26, 2012 6:07:35 PM

miken2137 said:

I looked at some 40 packages on windows clients. I chose Ocster Pro. See following link for more info http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2109031&p... Most of the backup solutions I tried failed on one or more of just 6 requirements.

One major feature we wanted was to be able to take a laptop out of the office, even while a backup is active. That feature was hard to find, most solutions stop with an error, if the backup device (USB or network) is not be available anymore when going on the road. Also security was a challenging feature to get.
October 26, 2012 6:42:31 PM

up to 10 users windows home server, transparent and good bare metal restore functions.
October 27, 2012 2:16:49 AM

acronis true image.,buy that
!