If a Nextel with nationwide Direct Connect tries to contact a Nextel in a
different area with only local Direct Connect, will it get through or will
it just get a message of some sort?

myself

It will work fine and wont even cost the local DC person any extra unless
the call times out after 6 seconds and they reinitiate it.

"J&D Schnoor" <jimdianes@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> If a Nextel with nationwide Direct Connect tries to contact a Nextel in a
> different area with only local Direct Connect, will it get through or will
> it just get a message of some sort?

I have another Nextel Direct Connect Question. If both my wife and I have
local Direct Connect only for St. Paul, MN area, but we both travel to the
Milwaukee, WI area, can we still do local Direct Connect to one another
while we are both in the Milwaukee area, or is that an extra charge?

myself

You're good to go as long as you're both in the same market. With Nextel
wherever you are is your local market, even for cellular. So if you don't
have cellular long distance and you travel to Milwaukee and call back to St.
Paul it will be counted as long distance. It's sort of flip-flopped from the
usual wireless way of doing things. You will be fine DC'ing in the same
market with your wife.

> I have another Nextel Direct Connect Question. If both my wife and I have
> local Direct Connect only for St. Paul, MN area, but we both travel to the
> Milwaukee, WI area, can we still do local Direct Connect to one another
> while we are both in the Milwaukee area, or is that an extra charge?

Here's the thing about Nationwide Direct Connect, just about anyone can get
it for free. Just like talking long distance on a regular phone. Someone has
to have the service to make the call but the reciever doesn't. By default
everyone has it, you have to call nextel up and tell them to disable it.

Here's an example that I just came across:

Bill lives in New York and Bob lives in California. Bill calls nextel up to
have Nationwide direct connect disabled. Bob on the other hand keeps it. Bob
2ways Bill at Bob's expense. As long as Bill doesn't 2way someone else he
can 2way Bob as many times he want's at Bob's expense. Even if its 2 hours
later or 2 days later. Once Bill 2way's Frank down the street he'll have to
wait for Bob to 2way him in order to talk to him again.

All calls on the 2way radio are rounded to the nearest 6 seconds. So if you
hit the PTT button 10 times rapidly you just used up 1 minute of talk time.
Keep that in mind!!!!

"Myself" <email@domain.com> wrote in message
> You're good to go as long as you're both in the same market. With Nextel
> wherever you are is your local market, even for cellular. So if you don't
> have cellular long distance and you travel to Milwaukee and call back to
St.
> Paul it will be counted as long distance. It's sort of flip-flopped from
the
> usual wireless way of doing things. You will be fine DC'ing in the same
> market with your wife.
>
> "J&D Schnoor" <jimdianes@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> > I have another Nextel Direct Connect Question. If both my wife and I
have
> > local Direct Connect only for St. Paul, MN area, but we both travel to
the
> > Milwaukee, WI area, can we still do local Direct Connect to one another
> > while we are both in the Milwaukee area, or is that an extra charge?

You are right & wrong with your info. If Bill DC's Bob Bob has to pay.And if
Bill DC's Bob and he does not answer right away and Bob calls him back 2 hrs
later Bob has to pay It is the person who starts it is the one who pays,no
matter if you have it the Nationwide or nor not and it is $0.10 per minute
capped at $10.00 per month.

In message <<G5xoc.35273$z06.5526250@attbi_s01>> "A"
<SPAMME@SPAMAFEE123.COMNET> did ramble:

>All calls on the 2way radio are rounded to the nearest 6 seconds. So if you
>hit the PTT button 10 times rapidly you just used up 1 minute of talk time.
>Keep that in mind!!!!

IIRC, any calls within 6-10 seconds are billed as the same call. I'm
not 100% sure if Nextel applies that, but TELUS does.

--
They'll say, 'You can't joke about rape. Rape's not funny.'
I can prove to you that rape is funny. Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd.

"DevilsPGD" <lalalaNOSPAM@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
> In message <<G5xoc.35273$z06.5526250@attbi_s01>> "A"
> <SPAMME@SPAMAFEE123.COMNET> did ramble:
>
> >All calls on the 2way radio are rounded to the nearest 6 seconds. So if
you
> >hit the PTT button 10 times rapidly you just used up 1 minute of talk
time.
> >Keep that in mind!!!!
>
> IIRC, any calls within 6-10 seconds are billed as the same call. I'm
> not 100% sure if Nextel applies that, but TELUS does.
>
> --

Nextel does use that billing scenario- IIRC, a gap of 6(?) seconds treats
the response as a new, billable call.

In message <<_8OdnVKAcfcDSz_dRVn-hA@adelphia.com>> "Scott Stephenson"
<scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> did ramble:

>> IIRC, any calls within 6-10 seconds are billed as the same call. I'm
>> not 100% sure if Nextel applies that, but TELUS does.
>>
>> --
>
>Nextel does use that billing scenario- IIRC, a gap of 6(?) seconds treats
>the response as a new, billable call.

Unless my brain is slower then usual, that effectively means that you
cannot get billed more then 1 minute in 1 minute, right?

mark

On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:57:58 GMT, "A" <SPAMME@SPAMAFEE123.COMNET> wrote:

>it is $0.10 per minute
>capped at $10.00 per month.

No it isn't. It's EITHER $0.10/min or $10/month. If you choose not to pay
the $10/mo, you can eaisly exceed $10 in LDDC fees.

They don't cap it just because you chose not to pay it anyway.

Yes they do cap it at $10.00 call them up ask them. They have done it on my
bill for the past 2 months.

mark

On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:45:34 GMT, "A" <SPAMME@SPAMAFEE123.COMNET> wrote:

> Yes they do cap it at $10.00 call them up ask them.

I don't have to. My bill a few months ago was $13.xx for LDDC. My normal
usage doesn't justify paying the $10/month.

>They have done it on my
>bill for the past 2 months.

I think you've just gotten lucky, or your on the LDDC plan and don't know it.

no i'm on breakthrough 10,0000

its an old rate plan. I can't 2way someone nationwide unless they 2way me
first. It tells me service restricted.