I can't delete files on one drive - but I can copy/move th..

When I try to delete any files that I create on my 2nd hard drive (D:) I get
the message
"Cannot delete [filename]: Cannot find the specified path.
Make sure you specify the correct path."
However I can copy or move them to drive C: (and then delete them)!!

I have run chkdsk and defrag on the 2nd drive without any errors.

Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong - both drives are FAT32

Thanks
Nigel

plop

LOL!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q246726&

I bet that's it...
When you delete files they are sent to the bin, unless it's corrupted...
(the reason you can still copy/move)
You can skip the steps in the article, just delete the bin on the 2nd hdd.
New one should be created.
(And disable any third-party bin protectors, if installed)
Also right click on the recycle bin icon on your main drive's
desktop and check the confgs. (usually shared between all hdds)

"Nigel Andrews" <nandrews2@yahoo.com> wrote

> When I try to delete any files that I create on my 2nd hard drive (D:) I
> get
> the message
> "Cannot delete [filename]: Cannot find the specified path.
> Make sure you specify the correct path."
> However I can copy or move them to drive C: (and then delete them)!!
>
> I have run chkdsk and defrag on the 2nd drive without any errors.
>
> Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong - both drives are FAT32
>
> Thanks
> Nigel

'Plop

Nice one. It worked a treat. Makes me wish I'd checked more on the KB myself
and saved bothering people.

Thanks very much

Nigel
P.S. I think it was also related to if I started up in Safe mode and
switched Explorer to drive D:, Explorer would crash. I haven't needed to go
to Safe Mode yet but I imagine that it is cured.