I can't delete files on one drive - but I can copy/move th..

When I try to delete any files that I create on my 2nd hard drive (D:) I get
the message
"Cannot delete [filename]: Cannot find the specified path.
Make sure you specify the correct path."
However I can copy or move them to drive C: (and then delete them)!!

I have run chkdsk and defrag on the 2nd drive without any errors.

Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong - both drives are FAT32

Thanks
Nigel
2 answers Last reply
More about delete files drive copy move

    LOL!

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q246726&

    I bet that's it...
    When you delete files they are sent to the bin, unless it's corrupted...
    (the reason you can still copy/move)
    You can skip the steps in the article, just delete the bin on the 2nd hdd.
    New one should be created.
    (And disable any third-party bin protectors, if installed)
    Also right click on the recycle bin icon on your main drive's
    desktop and check the confgs. (usually shared between all hdds)

    "Nigel Andrews" <nandrews2@yahoo.com> wrote

    > When I try to delete any files that I create on my 2nd hard drive (D:) I
    > get
    > the message
    > "Cannot delete [filename]: Cannot find the specified path.
    > Make sure you specify the correct path."
    > However I can copy or move them to drive C: (and then delete them)!!
    >
    > I have run chkdsk and defrag on the 2nd drive without any errors.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong - both drives are FAT32
    >
    > Thanks
    > Nigel

    'Plop

    Nice one. It worked a treat. Makes me wish I'd checked more on the KB myself
    and saved bothering people.

    Thanks very much

    Nigel
    P.S. I think it was also related to if I started up in Safe mode and
    switched Explorer to drive D:, Explorer would crash. I haven't needed to go
    to Safe Mode yet but I imagine that it is cured.

    'plop" <noone@spam> wrote in message
    > LOL!
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q246726&
    >
    > I bet that's it...
    > When you delete files they are sent to the bin, unless it's corrupted...
    > (the reason you can still copy/move)
    > You can skip the steps in the article, just delete the bin on the 2nd hdd.
    > New one should be created.
    > (And disable any third-party bin protectors, if installed)
    > Also right click on the recycle bin icon on your main drive's
    > desktop and check the confgs. (usually shared between all hdds)
    >
    > "Nigel Andrews" <nandrews2@yahoo.com> wrote
    >
    > > When I try to delete any files that I create on my 2nd hard drive (D:) I
    > > get
    > > the message
    > > "Cannot delete [filename]: Cannot find the specified path.
    > > Make sure you specify the correct path."
    > > However I can copy or move them to drive C: (and then delete them)!!
    > >
    > > I have run chkdsk and defrag on the 2nd drive without any errors.
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong - both drives are FAT32
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Nigel

Windows XP