Subject: Google Groups 2 (beta)
From: "Euro Cent" <me@privacy.net>
Newsgroups: alt.config,news.groups,uk.net.news.config,us.config
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004

news:2ghnrkF2u3eiU1@uni-berlin.de

Part of message:

<Quote>
http://groups-beta.google.com

New Google Groups 2 Challenges Yahoo :: Search Engine Journal
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/index.php?p=558

</Quote>

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware.discussion,alt.comp.freeware.games (More info?)

"Boomer" <Boomer__Baby_@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Subject: Google Groups 2 (beta)
> From: "Euro Cent" <me@privacy.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.config,news.groups,uk.net.news.config,us.config
> Date: Thu, 13 May 2004

> Part of message:
>
> <Quote>
> http://groups-beta.google.com
>
> New Google Groups 2 Challenges Yahoo :: Search Engine Journal
> http://www.searchenginejournal.com/index.php?p=558
>
> </Quote>

Thanks boomer. Will have to give it a shot. But I noticed that it has
alt.comp.freeware.ICQ i never heard of it; does anyone else have this group
on their server ?

*ProteanThread* wrote:

> "Boomer" <Boomer__Baby_@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Subject: Google Groups 2 (beta)
> > From: "Euro Cent" <me@privacy.net>
> > Newsgroups: alt.config,news.groups,uk.net.news.config,us.config
> > Date: Thu, 13 May 2004

> > Part of message:
> >
> > <Quote>
> > http://groups-beta.google.com
> >
> > New Google Groups 2 Challenges Yahoo :: Search Engine Journal
> > http://www.searchenginejournal.com/index.php?p=558
> >
> > </Quote>
>
> Thanks boomer. Will have to give it a shot. But I noticed that it has
> alt.comp.freeware.ICQ i never heard of it; does anyone else have this group
> on their server ?

No.. I only got the alt.comp.freeware.gdp / discussion / games (of course)

"Rudy Versele" <rudy@caiman.be> wrote in message
> *ProteanThread* wrote:
>
> > "Boomer" <Boomer__Baby_@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > > Subject: Google Groups 2 (beta)
> > > From: "Euro Cent" <me@privacy.net>
> > > Newsgroups: alt.config,news.groups,uk.net.news.config,us.config
> > > Date: Thu, 13 May 2004

> > > Part of message:
> > >
> > > <Quote>
> > > http://groups-beta.google.com
> > >
> > > New Google Groups 2 Challenges Yahoo :: Search Engine Journal
> > > http://www.searchenginejournal.com/index.php?p=558
> > >
> > > </Quote>
> >
> > Thanks boomer. Will have to give it a shot. But I noticed that it has
> > alt.comp.freeware.ICQ i never heard of it; does anyone else have this
group
> > on their server ?
>
> No.. I only got the alt.comp.freeware.gdp / discussion / games (of
course)

Must be a new one or at least one that is carried on fewer servers so google
is picking it up ?

On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:50:04 GMT, *ProteanThread* wrote (in part):

> ...I noticed that it has alt.comp.freeware.ICQ.
> I never heard of it; does anyone else have this group
> on their server ?

Nope. It's easy to create an alt.* newsgroup on a single server, if
the admin hasn't properly locked down the "newgroup" command, but
that's no guarantee that other servers will also create it. See:
<ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/alt/answers/alt-creation-guide>
--
Mark R. Blain, markrblain@earthlink.invalid
(change .INVALID to .NET to reply)