cannot open help and support

I installed WindowsXP Professional (Service Pack 2 included) a few days ago.

Clicking on Help and Support in the Start Menu doesn't open it. All that
happens is that an hour glass is seen very briefly next to the mouse arrow.

The "helpctr.exe" file is in its correct folder, but even double clicking it
directly only elicits the same response.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Paul

[[NOTE: This script will not correct issues that are accompanied by an error
message. The indications for the use of this script are that Help and
Support will not open, there is no error message, just a brief change of the
mouse cursor to an hourglass.]]
Fix Windows XP Help
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:dbblt1$5iq$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net,
Paul Barberton <pb000@REPLY2NG.mailbox.co.za> hunted and pecked:
> I installed WindowsXP Professional (Service Pack 2 included) a few days
> ago.
>
> Clicking on Help and Support in the Start Menu doesn't open it. All that
> happens is that an hour glass is seen very briefly next to the mouse
> arrow.
>
> The "helpctr.exe" file is in its correct folder, but even double clicking
> it directly only elicits the same response.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Paul

I found this & looked under "Why doesn't Help & Support work?"

One of the PCHealth components must have been damaged.

Paul