Opening Publisher File gets me DEP...?

I have a month old, new computer with MSWindows XP, Media Center.
When I open MSPublisher, I get the Data Execution Prevention message...
This occurs when I'm not online nor do I have any other files open and am
really confused because I should think that a Microsoft program should let a
Microsoft program open and function fully? Maybe I don't understand. I've
done several hours worth of updates with the Microsoft automated updates, but
it is still doing this. I still haven't added anything to the system nor do
I have my files transfered onto the system because of this problem so it is
basically "stock". It came with Norton package.
In plain'ole english, can someone explain what I can do ... I've read the
other posts, but they are not for MS Publisher causing the error.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
4 answers Last reply
More about opening publisher file

    "Data Exception Prevention" is another "blessing" from SP2. Check out the
    following:"support.Microsoft.com/kb/875351"
    for info and suggested "work-arounds".
    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

    Here goes my ignorance, but, what is SP2?
    I didn't really understand all I read on the support site, but I think the
    bottom line is that I can't fix it, so I have to ignore it, turn it off and
    hope?

    "Al Romanosky" wrote:

    > "Data Exception Prevention" is another "blessing" from SP2. Check out the
    > following:"support.Microsoft.com/kb/875351"
    > for info and suggested "work-arounds".
    > AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    > Myers, FL

    SP2 is the Windows Service Pack 2.
    Did you try any of the workarounds?
    What anti-virus software do you use? Did you go to the vendor and look around for an
    update?

    --
    Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
    http://office.microsoft.com/
    "grazier" <grazier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Here goes my ignorance, but, what is SP2?
    > I didn't really understand all I read on the support site, but I think the
    > bottom line is that I can't fix it, so I have to ignore it, turn it off and
    > hope?
    >
    > "Al Romanosky" wrote:
    >
    >> "Data Exception Prevention" is another "blessing" from SP2. Check out the
    >> following:"support.Microsoft.com/kb/875351"
    >> for info and suggested "work-arounds".
    >> --
    >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    >> Myers, FL
    >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I guess what I mean is am I correct in my thinking that SP2 is just a bunch
    of corrections or updates and they call them a "service pack" or is it
    actually doing something else to my computer?
    My anti-virus is Norton and it is as it came on my system new from Dell last
    month. I have had to do several updates to almost all the software that came
    on this new 8400 Dimension... I mean hours worth... I would have thought
    there would have been a correction in there somewhere for this issue, but it
    sounds as though not? Or am I just not finding it?
    As per the instructions I followed on the support MS site, "my computer is
    configured to turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only
    and I cannot add an exception for a program. This is the behavior that is by
    design in Windows XP SP2"
    I still don't think I understand because it seems like this is a total
    failure of the operating system because when I open Publisher, I get the DEP
    message, then it closes the program. I forgot to mention but I get this when
    I use Excel too and so when I close the sheet I am working on, it takes me
    back to the desktop instead of the Excel program which makes it hard to work
    between different sheets.

    "Mary Sauer" wrote:

    > SP2 is the Windows Service Pack 2.
    > Did you try any of the workarounds?
    > What anti-virus software do you use? Did you go to the vendor and look around for an
    > update?
    >
    > --
    > Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
    > http://office.microsoft.com/
    > http://msauer.mvps.org/
    > "grazier" <grazier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Here goes my ignorance, but, what is SP2?
    > > I didn't really understand all I read on the support site, but I think the
    > > bottom line is that I can't fix it, so I have to ignore it, turn it off and
    > > hope?
    > >
    > > "Al Romanosky" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Data Exception Prevention" is another "blessing" from SP2. Check out the
    > >> following:"support.Microsoft.com/kb/875351"
    > >> for info and suggested "work-arounds".
    > >> --
    > >> AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    > >> Myers, FL