Opening Publisher File gets me DEP...?

July 16, 2005 5:00:02 PM

I have a month old, new computer with MSWindows XP, Media Center.
When I open MSPublisher, I get the Data Execution Prevention message...
This occurs when I'm not online nor do I have any other files open and am
really confused because I should think that a Microsoft program should let a
Microsoft program open and function fully? Maybe I don't understand. I've
done several hours worth of updates with the Microsoft automated updates, but
it is still doing this. I still haven't added anything to the system nor do
I have my files transfered onto the system because of this problem so it is
basically "stock". It came with Norton package.
In plain'ole english, can someone explain what I can do ... I've read the
other posts, but they are not for MS Publisher causing the error.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:18:30 PM

"Data Exception Prevention" is another "blessing" from SP2. Check out the
following:"support.Microsoft.com/kb/875351"
for info and suggested "work-arounds".
AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
July 16, 2005 8:18:31 PM

Here goes my ignorance, but, what is SP2?
I didn't really understand all I read on the support site, but I think the
bottom line is that I can't fix it, so I have to ignore it, turn it off and
hope?

"Al Romanosky" wrote:

> "Data Exception Prevention" is another "blessing" from SP2. Check out the
> following:"support.Microsoft.com/kb/875351"
> for info and suggested "work-arounds".
> AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
> Myers, FL

July 16, 2005 9:10:57 PM

SP2 is the Windows Service Pack 2.
Did you try any of the workarounds?
What anti-virus software do you use? Did you go to the vendor and look around for an
update?

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"grazier" <grazier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here goes my ignorance, but, what is SP2?
> I didn't really understand all I read on the support site, but I think the
> bottom line is that I can't fix it, so I have to ignore it, turn it off and
> hope?
>
> "Al Romanosky" wrote:
>
>> "Data Exception Prevention" is another "blessing" from SP2. Check out the
>> following:"support.Microsoft.com/kb/875351"
>> for info and suggested "work-arounds".
>> --
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
>> Myers, FL
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 9:10:58 PM

I guess what I mean is am I correct in my thinking that SP2 is just a bunch
of corrections or updates and they call them a "service pack" or is it
actually doing something else to my computer?
My anti-virus is Norton and it is as it came on my system new from Dell last
month. I have had to do several updates to almost all the software that came
on this new 8400 Dimension... I mean hours worth... I would have thought
there would have been a correction in there somewhere for this issue, but it
sounds as though not? Or am I just not finding it?
As per the instructions I followed on the support MS site, "my computer is
configured to turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only
and I cannot add an exception for a program. This is the behavior that is by
design in Windows XP SP2"
I still don't think I understand because it seems like this is a total
failure of the operating system because when I open Publisher, I get the DEP
message, then it closes the program. I forgot to mention but I get this when
I use Excel too and so when I close the sheet I am working on, it takes me
back to the desktop instead of the Excel program which makes it hard to work
between different sheets.

!