Task Manager Icon Missing in XP Home/Pro???

from Dec 2002 thru Jan 2003:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=3E0D006A.89B82B06%40earthlink.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522task%2Bmanager%2Bicon%2Bmissing%2522%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26scoring%3Dd%26selm%3D3E0D006A.89B82B06%2540earthlink.net%26rnum%3D1

Attention all MVP's at this newsgroup! This KNOWN AND REPORTED BUG has
been in existence for WELL OVER 2 YEARS, and:

1. IT STILL EXISTS!
2. THERE IS STILL NO KB ARTICLE ON IT!

This bug is present in my brand spankin' new IBM ThinkPad T43 laptop
which just arrived in a sealed box from the factory with Win XP Pro SP2
installed.

Please note in the above linked thread at this newsgroup, message #40
from Microsoft's own Online Support Professional, Steven Liu, in which
he clearly states: "I have re-produce the bug"!!!, and yet nothing has
been done to date.

Symptom:

You open the Windows Task Manager, but sometimes the icon doesn't
appear in the system tray (notification area) down by the clock on the
Taskbar. In order to get the icon to appear, it is sometimes necessary
to close and reopen Task Manager several dozen times.

Cause:

This is a known bug in Windows XP, however it only rears its ugly head
when using Windows Classic. In other words, if you go to the Display
Properties control panel, then to the Appearance tab, on a new install
you will see under Windows and buttons: Windows XP style. If you
change that setting to: Windows Classic style, then this bug shows up.

This raises another question:

How are we supposed to report bugs and/or create KB articles? I have
been told that the mswish program is only for requested improvements &
enhancements. There appears to be no simple and obvious way for users
to submit bug reports or initiate KB articles.

????????????????

Please expedite getting this bug into the KB and getting a hotfix for
it.

Henry Fiddler

The primary reason for having the icon in the systray, is so we can
watch system performance at a glance. It is not just a static icon.
It dynamically displays realtime CPU usage. This is especially useful
at times when the computer seems bogged down or is otherwise displaying
erratic behavior. We can also monitor the current workload the system
is under, in order to decide if we want to open more windows,
applications, or processes. In addition, the full blown Task Manager
window can be opened quickly by double clicking on the systray icon.
It is very informative and I refer to it quite often.

Why does that bother you so much? you don't open the task manager from
there, what do you need that icon for?

"HTFiddler" <htfiddler@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> from Dec 2002 thru Jan 2003:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=3E0D006A.89B82B06%40earthlink.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522task%2Bmanager%2Bicon%2Bmissing%2522%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26scoring%3Dd%26selm%3D3E0D006A.89B82B06%2540earthlink.net%26rnum%3D1
>
> Attention all MVP's at this newsgroup! This KNOWN AND REPORTED BUG has
> been in existence for WELL OVER 2 YEARS, and:
>
> 1. IT STILL EXISTS!
> 2. THERE IS STILL NO KB ARTICLE ON IT!
>
> This bug is present in my brand spankin' new IBM ThinkPad T43 laptop
> which just arrived in a sealed box from the factory with Win XP Pro SP2
> installed.
>
> Please note in the above linked thread at this newsgroup, message #40
> from Microsoft's own Online Support Professional, Steven Liu, in which
> he clearly states: "I have re-produce the bug"!!!, and yet nothing has
> been done to date.
>
> Symptom:
>
> You open the Windows Task Manager, but sometimes the icon doesn't
> appear in the system tray (notification area) down by the clock on the
> Taskbar. In order to get the icon to appear, it is sometimes necessary
> to close and reopen Task Manager several dozen times.
>
> Cause:
>
> This is a known bug in Windows XP, however it only rears its ugly head
> when using Windows Classic. In other words, if you go to the Display
> Properties control panel, then to the Appearance tab, on a new install
> you will see under Windows and buttons: Windows XP style. If you
> change that setting to: Windows Classic style, then this bug shows up.
>
> This raises another question:
>
> How are we supposed to report bugs and/or create KB articles? I have
> been told that the mswish program is only for requested improvements &
> enhancements. There appears to be no simple and obvious way for users
> to submit bug reports or initiate KB articles.
>
> ????????????????
>
> Please expedite getting this bug into the KB and getting a hotfix for
> it.
>
> Henry Fiddler

Ok that makes sense.

> The primary reason for having the icon in the systray, is so we can
> watch system performance at a glance. It is not just a static icon.
> It dynamically displays realtime CPU usage. This is especially useful
> at times when the computer seems bogged down or is otherwise displaying
> erratic behavior. We can also monitor the current workload the system
> is under, in order to decide if we want to open more windows,
> applications, or processes. In addition, the full blown Task Manager
> window can be opened quickly by double clicking on the systray icon.
> It is very informative and I refer to it quite often.

"HTFiddler" <htfiddler@attglobal.net> wrote in

> from Dec 2002 thru Jan 2003:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=3E0D006A.89B82
> B06%40earthlink.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522task%2Bmanager%2Bicon%
> 2Bmissing%2522%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26scoring%3Dd%26selm%3D3E0D
> 006A.89B82B06%2540earthlink.net%26rnum%3D1
>
> Attention all MVP's at this newsgroup! This KNOWN AND REPORTED BUG has
> been in existence for WELL OVER 2 YEARS, and:
>
> 1. IT STILL EXISTS!
> 2. THERE IS STILL NO KB ARTICLE ON IT!
>
> This bug is present in my brand spankin' new IBM ThinkPad T43 laptop
> which just arrived in a sealed box from the factory with Win XP Pro SP2
> installed.
>
> Please note in the above linked thread at this newsgroup, message #40
> from Microsoft's own Online Support Professional, Steven Liu, in which
> he clearly states: "I have re-produce the bug"!!!, and yet nothing has
> been done to date.
>
> Symptom:
>
> You open the Windows Task Manager, but sometimes the icon doesn't
> appear in the system tray (notification area) down by the clock on the
> Taskbar. In order to get the icon to appear, it is sometimes necessary
> to close and reopen Task Manager several dozen times.
>
> Cause:
>
> This is a known bug in Windows XP, however it only rears its ugly head
> when using Windows Classic. In other words, if you go to the Display
> Properties control panel, then to the Appearance tab, on a new install
> you will see under Windows and buttons: Windows XP style. If you
> change that setting to: Windows Classic style, then this bug shows up.
>
> This raises another question:
>
> How are we supposed to report bugs and/or create KB articles? I have
> been told that the mswish program is only for requested improvements &
> enhancements. There appears to be no simple and obvious way for users
> to submit bug reports or initiate KB articles.
>
> ????????????????
>
> Please expedite getting this bug into the KB and getting a hotfix for
> it.
>
> Henry Fiddler

seconded!!! I still have this happen on a regular basis on my XP SP2 box
with Windows Classic interface.

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in

> Why does that bother you so much? you don't open the task manager from
> there, what do you need that icon for?
>
> --

I can't speak for the original poster but it's an annoying inconsistency.
Would it bother you if everytime you clicked on an icon to launch a
program that the program would only launch 1 in 5 times? I could say just
click on it a few more times and it WILL work. The icon certainly isn't
needed but, like an altenator guage on a car, does relay information that
may or may not be useful to the driver.

TRENDING THREADS