Receive Packet Errors on Netgear MA401

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
May 7, 2004 4:34:27 PM

I've got a Netgear MA401 running on a Windows XP machine connecting to a
LAN via an ME102 AP. All appears to be working fine.

When I look at the network packets on the XP machine I see received
packet errors. I've now moved the XP machine to within 1m of the AP,
just to see if it makes any difference and I get 1,903 receive packet
errors based on 6,344,872 total receive packets in the same time period
(which happens to be about 24 hours now). Incidentally there are no sent
packet errors at all (3,809,788 sent packets in this same time period).

Is this normal? If not, does any one have any recommendations about what
I should do?

Many thanks, David
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 4:41:22 PM

Your received-packet error rate is around 1/3000 or .03% . I wouldn't worry
about that.

The reason that there are no sent-packet errors is that you're viewing the
statistics on the device that sent them. The only send-errors you'll see on
the sending device are really serious errors in forming the packets and
passing them through the wireless adapter. Errors that occur in the
wireless medium (space) would only be detected by the receiving device.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"David" <david@dembe.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've got a Netgear MA401 running on a Windows XP machine connecting to a
> LAN via an ME102 AP. All appears to be working fine.
>
> When I look at the network packets on the XP machine I see received
> packet errors. I've now moved the XP machine to within 1m of the AP,
> just to see if it makes any difference and I get 1,903 receive packet
> errors based on 6,344,872 total receive packets in the same time period
> (which happens to be about 24 hours now). Incidentally there are no sent
> packet errors at all (3,809,788 sent packets in this same time period).
>
> Is this normal? If not, does any one have any recommendations about what
> I should do?
>
> Many thanks, David
May 7, 2004 6:51:33 PM

Thanks for that Ron, it all makes sense when someone explains it!

Thanks again, David

!