Missing File or Corrupt: error message

Hello,

I get an error message: missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.
It says to repair this file by starting Window Setup using the original
Setup CD-Rom. My problem is my CD/DVD drive does not work. I have an
external DVD RW drive that I plug in to a USB port but I can't get my
computer to read it. Any help?

Thank You!
3 answers Last reply
More about missing file corrupt error message

    Hi

    Have a look in the manual for your motherboard on how to access the BIOS and
    change the boot sequence to see if you can setup the external drive to boot
    first.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Kirk." <Kirk.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I get an error message: missing or corrupt:
    > \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.
    > It says to repair this file by starting Window Setup using the original
    > Setup CD-Rom. My problem is my CD/DVD drive does not work. I have an
    > external DVD RW drive that I plug in to a USB port but I can't get my
    > computer to read it. Any help?
    >
    > Thank You!

    If what Will wrote above did not work, you can try to connect your external
    DVD Drive to yor computer via IDE or SCSI by opening up the case and putting
    the corresponding wires/jumpers in the right spots.

    Kirk. wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I get an error message: missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.
    > It says to repair this file by starting Window Setup using the original
    > Setup CD-Rom. My problem is my CD/DVD drive does not work. I have an
    > external DVD RW drive that I plug in to a USB port but I can't get my
    > computer to read it. Any help?
    >
    > Thank You!

    If you need to boot from the WinXP CD, you'll have to get your CD/DVD
    drive repaired or replaced. WinXP isn't designed to boot from external
    USB devices.

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: