Missing File or Corrupt: error message

July 17, 2005 1:42:01 AM

Hello,

I get an error message: missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.
It says to repair this file by starting Window Setup using the original
Setup CD-Rom. My problem is my CD/DVD drive does not work. I have an
external DVD RW drive that I plug in to a USB port but I can't get my
computer to read it. Any help?

Thank You!
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 10:18:24 AM

Hi

Have a look in the manual for your motherboard on how to access the BIOS and
change the boot sequence to see if you can setup the external drive to boot
first.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Kirk." <Kirk.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I get an error message: missing or corrupt:
> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.
> It says to repair this file by starting Window Setup using the original
> Setup CD-Rom. My problem is my CD/DVD drive does not work. I have an
> external DVD RW drive that I plug in to a USB port but I can't get my
> computer to read it. Any help?
>
> Thank You!
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 10:18:25 AM

If what Will wrote above did not work, you can try to connect your external
DVD Drive to yor computer via IDE or SCSI by opening up the case and putting
the corresponding wires/jumpers in the right spots.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 1:05:30 PM

Kirk. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I get an error message: missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.
> It says to repair this file by starting Window Setup using the original
> Setup CD-Rom. My problem is my CD/DVD drive does not work. I have an
> external DVD RW drive that I plug in to a USB port but I can't get my
> computer to read it. Any help?
>
> Thank You!

If you need to boot from the WinXP CD, you'll have to get your CD/DVD
drive repaired or replaced. WinXP isn't designed to boot from external
USB devices.

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: