Unable to format Master Hard Drive

I need to format my hard drive, but this is the error I get when I come to
the "yes" portion of the process: "Format cannot run because the volume is
in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted
first. "ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID" Would you
like to force a dismount on this volume (y/n)? I press yes and this is the
reply I get! Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use." Can anyone
help me with this delima. There is only one user on this computer, so I
don't know why I'm not able to format my Master drive??? Anyone with this
problem in the past that can help me.
1 answer Last reply
More about unable format master hard drive

    "Tony Kirk" <Tony Kirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to format my hard drive, but this is the error I get when I come to
    > the "yes" portion of the process: "Format cannot run because the volume
    > is
    > in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted
    > first. "ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID" Would
    > you
    > like to force a dismount on this volume (y/n)? I press yes and this is the
    > reply I get! Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use." Can
    > anyone
    > help me with this delima. There is only one user on this computer, so I
    > don't know why I'm not able to format my Master drive??? Anyone with
    > this
    > problem in the past that can help me.

    You cannot format the drive where Windows is installed. This is like cutting
    your own legs off.

    Use you Windows XP CD to boot from and then you can reformat the drive and
    install XP.

    How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941

    See the section on "Perform a clean install of Windows XP"

    --
    William

Hard Drives Format Windows XP