GeForce/GeForce 2 -> Quadro/Quadro2 (??!!)

G

Hello people! first time I post here,

well, past weekend I find this article that explains how to convert a GeForce/GeForce 2 -> Quadro/Quadro2 (??!!) simply soldering two 10K SMD resistors !
I`m shock about it, and I really want to do the modification, (if it works..)

Would any of you do this modification?? and It works???

Here is the URL:
http://www.geocities.com/tnaw_xtennis/

Thanks

wolts

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Two resistors makes the card worth twice the amount? Can I solder some resistors on my Radeon and sell it for a small fortune?

G

-> Can I solder some resistors on my Radeon and sell it for a small fortune?

that`s the idea :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The biggest thing with the change is that it allows the card to be recognized as a Quadro card, I think that gives you some specialized drivers or something. But I saw them performance test the converted card and the difference was almost zero! And they were testing it in OpenGL apps, which is where the Quadro is supposed to be worth the money! But even Tom's test of the real Quadro showed it sucked compaired to a real OpenGL card.

Suicide is painless...........

G

yes, quadro is hardly better than geforce and suck compared to real cards like you say.

G

My question is, does converting a gf2 into a quadro have any
benifits at all? Any other games or programs get a
performance boost?

BC

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
My understanding is that there is a minimal performance boost (in fact the mod cuts the Ultra's clock from 250MHz to 200MHz if you were to do it). IMHO anything over 80fps is wasted anyway. BUT there is an improvement it quality and advanced features supported. These features are however only really relevant to CAD type applications.

If at first you don't succeed,
Sky Diving isn't for you.

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well I'm doing it tommorrow I hope. I'll post again with benchmarks and such.

<font color=red>Take my advice with a grain of salt, for</font color=red> <font color=blue>I AM A DUMB-ASS!!!</font color=blue>