sequence of starting up XP?

July 17, 2005 5:46:01 PM

I have a new computer WINXP Home HP Pavillion
My question is when I turn it on (power button) it starts up with a black
screen and some words. I have to either wait for it to count down or choose
Windows XP Home
Then it goes to the Windows splash screen (loading windows)
Then it goes to the desktop where I would choose my User icon.
Is this a normal sequence of events?
My sons WinXp Home goes straight to the splash screen.
Then to the User icons.
Thanks in advance

More about : sequence starting

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 5:46:02 PM

Sharon - On the test screen what other option are you given besides Windows
XP Home? I'll try to explain what you are experiencing - for example you
can have XP Home and XP Pro installed on the computer - if so then when the
computer boots you are offered the option of "choosing" which XP you want to
start - the last "text" line counts down in seconds the time to make a
choice - no choice selected -then boot goes to the default XP - which is
usually the first listed. Are there two options listed and are both XP
Home?
BTW - Always give all the facts when posting - especially if the computer
has been serviced.

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
July 17, 2005 5:46:03 PM

Sharon - continuing with my post - occasionally when an operating system
(XP) is reinstalled it may be installed in another partition, or folder,
than the original installation - when this happens on boot you may get the
option to chose the OS but both options will be identical e.g. two XP Home.

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
July 17, 2005 9:31:55 PM

HP Pavillion A1030N

My choices on the screen are
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and
Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

"Al Romanosky" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o 1UFxzuiFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Sharon - continuing with my post - occasionally when an operating system
> (XP) is reinstalled it may be installed in another partition, or folder,
> than the original installation - when this happens on boot you may get the
> option to chose the OS but both options will be identical e.g. two XP
> Home.

> AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
> Myers, FL

July 17, 2005 9:57:16 PM

What you have is a "standard" optional boot scenario to provide advanced
repair techniques via the "Recovery console". The console is used as a next
to last resort (last is reinstallation of XP) in trying to "cure" a sick
machine. It provides a command line (like old DOS) basis for run ing
various commands - it is not recommended for use by "lay people" but rather
knowledgeable personnel. I have my wife's computer set up the same way.
The time delay is adjustable - I have it set for three seconds - think the
default is 20 seconds. Te recovery console can be removed or a file
(boot.ini) modified so that the option does not appear - in any case it is
not "damaging" to your computer.
AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
July 17, 2005 10:01:09 PM

Sharon -more stuff. Recovery console can be run from the XP CD or installed
and run from the hard drive. It is not installed by default. I would
assume that the Tech who worked on the computer used the recovery console to
correct any problems - He/she should have explained the dual boot option to
you.

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
July 18, 2005 3:58:07 AM

It is if you have more than one startup option and more than one account.

"Sharon" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:titCe.261989$El.28674@pd7tw1no...
>I have a new computer WINXP Home HP Pavillion
> My question is when I turn it on (power button) it starts up with a black
> screen and some words. I have to either wait for it to count down or choose
> Windows XP Home
> Then it goes to the Windows splash screen (loading windows)
> Then it goes to the desktop where I would choose my User icon.
> Is this a normal sequence of events?
> My sons WinXp Home goes straight to the splash screen.
> Then to the User icons.
> Thanks in advance

July 18, 2005 3:58:08 AM

Hi
What do you mean by this could you explain it to me please and then I can
respond further.
Thanks
I am a newbie.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It is if you have more than one startup option and more than one account.

"Sharon" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I have a new computer WINXP Home HP Pavillion
> My question is when I turn it on (power button) it starts up with a black
> screen and some words. I have to either wait for it to count down or
> choose
> Windows XP Home
> Then it goes to the Windows splash screen (loading windows)
> Then it goes to the desktop where I would choose my User icon.
> Is this a normal sequence of events?
> My sons WinXp Home goes straight to the splash screen.
> Then to the User icons.
> Thanks in advance

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:58:09 AM

It is right. All it enables you to do is with the text you can select a kind
of emergency start-up OS. This enables you to say that if your computer won't
boot up properly you can select another option and try to fix the problem
like that. It is basically a failsafe.

Hope that explains it.

03swalker
July 18, 2005 3:58:10 AM

I forgot to mention when I bought the computer, it did not start up this
way. I was transferring all my documents and installing all my old programs.
When I went to install EZ CD Creator it crashed. I could not get it to boot
up anymore. It did not come with any cd's. so I had to take it back to the
store. The tech guy said he had to reformat back to factory settings. When
I got it back home and turned it on it did not go thru the same Windows
setup that it did the first time I had it. do you think that the tech guy
changed something? And what should I do?
Thanks for all your help.
"03swalker" <03swalker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It is right. All it enables you to do is with the text you can select a
> kind
> of emergency start-up OS. This enables you to say that if your computer
> won't
> boot up properly you can select another option and try to fix the problem
> like that. It is basically a failsafe.
>
> Hope that explains it.
>
> 03swalker
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:47:08 PM

If there is only one option it doesn't ask you which of the one option you want. You have more than one thing to choose at those screens.

!