sequence of starting up XP?

I have a new computer WINXP Home HP Pavillion
My question is when I turn it on (power button) it starts up with a black
screen and some words. I have to either wait for it to count down or choose
Windows XP Home
Then it goes to the Windows splash screen (loading windows)
Then it goes to the desktop where I would choose my User icon.
Is this a normal sequence of events?
My sons WinXp Home goes straight to the splash screen.
Then to the User icons.
Thanks in advance
10 answers Last reply
More about sequence starting

    Sharon - On the test screen what other option are you given besides Windows
    XP Home? I'll try to explain what you are experiencing - for example you
    can have XP Home and XP Pro installed on the computer - if so then when the
    computer boots you are offered the option of "choosing" which XP you want to
    start - the last "text" line counts down in seconds the time to make a
    choice - no choice selected -then boot goes to the default XP - which is
    usually the first listed. Are there two options listed and are both XP
    Home?
    BTW - Always give all the facts when posting - especially if the computer
    has been serviced.

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

    Sharon - continuing with my post - occasionally when an operating system
    (XP) is reinstalled it may be installed in another partition, or folder,
    than the original installation - when this happens on boot you may get the
    option to chose the OS but both options will be identical e.g. two XP Home.

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

    HP Pavillion A1030N

    My choices on the screen are
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and
    Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

    "Al Romanosky" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Sharon - continuing with my post - occasionally when an operating system
    > (XP) is reinstalled it may be installed in another partition, or folder,
    > than the original installation - when this happens on boot you may get the
    > option to chose the OS but both options will be identical e.g. two XP
    > Home.

    > AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    > Myers, FL

    What you have is a "standard" optional boot scenario to provide advanced
    repair techniques via the "Recovery console". The console is used as a next
    to last resort (last is reinstallation of XP) in trying to "cure" a sick
    machine. It provides a command line (like old DOS) basis for run ing
    various commands - it is not recommended for use by "lay people" but rather
    knowledgeable personnel. I have my wife's computer set up the same way.
    The time delay is adjustable - I have it set for three seconds - think the
    default is 20 seconds. Te recovery console can be removed or a file
    (boot.ini) modified so that the option does not appear - in any case it is
    not "damaging" to your computer.
    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

    Sharon -more stuff. Recovery console can be run from the XP CD or installed
    and run from the hard drive. It is not installed by default. I would
    assume that the Tech who worked on the computer used the recovery console to
    correct any problems - He/she should have explained the dual boot option to
    you.

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

    It is if you have more than one startup option and more than one account.

    "Sharon" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:titCe.261989$El.28674@pd7tw1no...
    >I have a new computer WINXP Home HP Pavillion
    > My question is when I turn it on (power button) it starts up with a black
    > screen and some words. I have to either wait for it to count down or choose
    > Windows XP Home
    > Then it goes to the Windows splash screen (loading windows)
    > Then it goes to the desktop where I would choose my User icon.
    > Is this a normal sequence of events?
    > My sons WinXp Home goes straight to the splash screen.
    > Then to the User icons.
    > Thanks in advance

    Hi
    What do you mean by this could you explain it to me please and then I can
    respond further.
    Thanks
    I am a newbie.

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    It is if you have more than one startup option and more than one account.

    "Sharon" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >I have a new computer WINXP Home HP Pavillion
    > My question is when I turn it on (power button) it starts up with a black
    > screen and some words. I have to either wait for it to count down or
    > choose
    > Windows XP Home
    > Then it goes to the Windows splash screen (loading windows)
    > Then it goes to the desktop where I would choose my User icon.
    > Is this a normal sequence of events?
    > My sons WinXp Home goes straight to the splash screen.
    > Then to the User icons.
    > Thanks in advance

    It is right. All it enables you to do is with the text you can select a kind
    of emergency start-up OS. This enables you to say that if your computer won't
    boot up properly you can select another option and try to fix the problem
    like that. It is basically a failsafe.

    Hope that explains it.

    03swalker

    I forgot to mention when I bought the computer, it did not start up this
    way. I was transferring all my documents and installing all my old programs.
    When I went to install EZ CD Creator it crashed. I could not get it to boot
    up anymore. It did not come with any cd's. so I had to take it back to the
    store. The tech guy said he had to reformat back to factory settings. When
    I got it back home and turned it on it did not go thru the same Windows
    setup that it did the first time I had it. do you think that the tech guy
    changed something? And what should I do?
    Thanks for all your help.
    "03swalker" <03swalker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It is right. All it enables you to do is with the text you can select a
    > kind
    > of emergency start-up OS. This enables you to say that if your computer
    > won't
    > boot up properly you can select another option and try to fix the problem
    > like that. It is basically a failsafe.
    >
    > Hope that explains it.
    >
    > 03swalker

    If there is only one option it doesn't ask you which of the one option you want. You have more than one thing to choose at those screens.

    "Sharon" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:8PtCe.1972071$6l.1815163@pd7tw2no...
    > Hi
    > What do you mean by this could you explain it to me please and then I can
    > respond further.
    > Thanks
    > I am a newbie.
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > It is if you have more than one startup option and more than one account.

    > "Sharon" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >>I have a new computer WINXP Home HP Pavillion
    >> My question is when I turn it on (power button) it starts up with a black
    >> screen and some words. I have to either wait for it to count down or
    >> choose
    >> Windows XP Home
    >> Then it goes to the Windows splash screen (loading windows)
    >> Then it goes to the desktop where I would choose my User icon.
    >> Is this a normal sequence of events?
    >> My sons WinXp Home goes straight to the splash screen.
    >> Then to the User icons.
    >> Thanks in advance

Splash Screen Windows XP