Delayed Write Failed

I have a P4-300ghz Computer running WinXP sp2

There are three hard drives and one DVD writer on the system.

One the secondary IDE channel, is a Maxtor 250G hard drive as the
master, the DVD writer is the slave on that channel.

For many months the drive had no problems with writing. Recently, I
have been getting errors whenever I try to write to the drive.

I have tried various things to see if I can resolve the problem.

- Removed covers from the case to increase air flow in case it was a
heat problem.
- Changed the cable
- Another suggestion was to disable the write caching on the drive,
but when I go the properties and select policies, the 'Optimize for
performance" is selected, but it is greyed out and I cannot change it.
- If I try the MS Disk Defragmenter, when I select the drive and click
analyse, I get "Disk Defragmenter could not start"
- If I try Norton Speed Disk, the drive does not show up at all.

Does anyone have other suggestions what I might try??
TIA, Joe
1 answer Last reply
More about delayed write failed

    Boot to the XP setup CD, and press 'r' for recovery console, run the command : CHKDSK /R

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Joe" <joe@DELETETHISdigitize.com> wrote in message news:pa7ld15g39keuiumod2t85ts54c1e556j1@4ax.com...

    > I have a P4-300ghz Computer running WinXP sp2
    >
    > There are three hard drives and one DVD writer on the system.
    >
    > One the secondary IDE channel, is a Maxtor 250G hard drive as the
    > master, the DVD writer is the slave on that channel.
    >
    > For many months the drive had no problems with writing. Recently, I
    > have been getting errors whenever I try to write to the drive.
    >
    > I have tried various things to see if I can resolve the problem.
    >
    > - Removed covers from the case to increase air flow in case it was a
    > heat problem.
    > - Changed the cable
    > - Another suggestion was to disable the write caching on the drive,
    > but when I go the properties and select policies, the 'Optimize for
    > performance" is selected, but it is greyed out and I cannot change it.
    > - If I try the MS Disk Defragmenter, when I select the drive and click
    > analyse, I get "Disk Defragmenter could not start"
    > - If I try Norton Speed Disk, the drive does not show up at all.
    >
    > Does anyone have other suggestions what I might try??
    > TIA, Joe

Windows XP