Upgrade?

G

Hello,
I have a Geforce2 GTS 32MB. A buddy of mine has the Radeon 64 MB and things look alot better on his PC. I noticed the 64 MB Radeon is only about 200 dollars, and was thinking about buying one.My question is, is the 64 MB radeon a better performer than my 32 mb GF2? I realize the 64MB GF2 ultra spanks the radeon speedwise, but i was wondering if the Radeon would be faster than my current 32 MB one.
Thanks for any suggestions.

G

I think you have already answered this yourself.
"A buddy of mine has the Radeon 64 MB and things look alot better on his PC."

All things being equal the video card is the reason.
You may want to hold off for the G3 you will get speed and great graphics.

Good luck.

G

Yes, the GeForce 3 looks awesome! However whats the street price going to be? Im not sure i want to spend 500$ or more for something that will be improved on in 3 months after it hits the shelves.
Just wondering if a 64MB radeon is a better performer than my 32mb GF2.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Performacewise the GF2 is better, but radeon produces much nicer scenes.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm sure I will get arguments but the Geforce 2 GTS is a little faster than the Radeon 64 but they are in the same ballbark. To me it would not be worth tossing one $200 card for another $200 card but if you like how the ATI looks go for it. What are gaming cards for, anyway, if not enjoyment.

Before you switch cards, though, obtain a copy of Geforce Tweak from <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com" target="_new">http://www.guru3d.com</A>. The program provides more options and tweaks (including overclocking) than the display driver panel. Try using the "quality settings" but turn off FSAA (because it is too slow) and see if the display is more to you liking.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
The Geforce 2 GTS 32MB spanks the Radeon 64MB in most benchmarks when it comes to performance. The only thing though, the Radeon supposedly produces a slightly sharper image, although my GTS 32MB looks absolutly amazing playing Giants (very intense 3d damanding game) and sacrifice or watching DVD's. Stick with the GTS.

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

G

i really don't understand the gf3 hype
honestly i'm not an nvidia hater but i've seen some benchmark figures and they didn't impress me
mostly around and sometimes lower then the gf 2 ultra 64ddr values
this is because the core runs at a lower frequency than the gf2 ultra and the dx8 goodies don't work in games right now only the memory interface could increase the framerate but even about this theoretically good looking part i've red some negative opinions in some reviews
and the prices are way to high and they will maintain as we saw with the gts and ultra
and since (as espacted) dx8 games won't become available within 2 YEARS (even than few look at T&L games currently available) and the card will by then a lot cheaper (ATI Radeon II concurrency or even gf4???? what about gf3 MX)
WHY NOT WAIT???????????
because you can score high in 3dmark 2001 (dx8 benchmark)?

G

i really don't understand the gf3 hype
honestly i'm not an nvidia hater but i've seen some benchmark figures and they didn't impress me
mostly around and sometimes lower then the gf 2 ultra 64ddr values
this is because the core runs at a lower frequency than the gf2 ultra and the dx8 goodies don't work in games right now only the memory interface could increase the framerate but even about this theoretically good looking part i've red some negative opinions in some reviews (marketing thing)
(yes i know development state but lets asume the final product will score 25% higher)
and the prices are way to high and they will maintain as we saw with the gts and ultra
and since (as espacted) dx8 games won't become available within 2 YEARS (even than few look at T&L games currently available) and the card will by then a lot cheaper (ATI Radeon II concurrency or even gf4???? what about gf3 MX)
WHY NOT WAIT???????????
because you can score high in 3dmark 2001 (dx8 benchmark)?

okay i admit i forgot the fast cqaa and fsaa but doesn't gf2 ultra in high resolutions good enough?