Error on boot: "Please select operating system ..."

Running Windows XP Pro SP2. For the last two days, when I boot my
computer, it pauses during the boot sequence and displays:

Please select the operating system to start:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

I choose the first option (viz. XP Professional) and the computer continues
to boot.

How do I get rid of this pesky notice?
2 answers Last reply
More about error boot please select operating system

    Have you had service on your computer? The "Recovery console" is not a
    default installation - it is either run from the XP CD or installed on the
    hard drive - when installed on the HD it is offered as a boot option along
    with XP. If within the time specified (I believe 20 seconds) the default
    selection (first listed and usually XP) boots. The time can be modified to
    zero seconds. It serves as a means of repairing an XP installation. Can be
    removed from the HD or the boot.ini modify so as not to present the option.
    Question - who, or how, did it get installed?
    -

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

    How to remove Windows Recovery Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555032

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Norman Swartz" wrote:

    | Running Windows XP Pro SP2. For the last two days, when I boot my
    | computer, it pauses during the boot sequence and displays:
    |
    | Please select the operating system to start:
    | Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    | Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
    |
    | I choose the first option (viz. XP Professional) and the computer continues
    | to boot.
    |
    | How do I get rid of this pesky notice?

Boot Microsoft Windows XP