First Timer Needs help with Win ME

G

Ok, this is my first time building a system from the ground up. Before we start, here are my specs.

AMD athlon 950
256 MB RAM
Asus A7v
Ati Radeon 64mb DDR
Plextor 8x cd-r <master>
Creative 12x DVD <slave>
Soundblaster Live xgamer 5.1

---
Ok here's the nitty, Ive installed all of the components and the system boots into bios no problem. The problem, is that I cant get the windows ME cd to load after I am done setting up bios. It just says "Boot disk error, please insert boot disk and press enter" Do I need a floppy disk to boot, or should this thing just recognise the Windows cd thats in the drive?? BTW the bios recognises all of the devices , so I dont see where the problem is.

Thanks In advance-

Pier Posthumus

scarecrow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You shouldn't need a boot disk if your booting from the cd. Make sure that in the bios the cd is the first in boot order. If that dosn't work try booting from a floppy with cd rom support. Then pick the drive letter of the cd and type setup "e:setup"

You can also try using diferent switches when setting up like this. To show the switches use the "/?" command like this "e:setup /?" this comes in handy if you don't want to scan the registry, view the stupid banners during the setup etc.
Hope this helps.

<A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com" target="_new">Join The Tom's Hardware SETI@Home Team</A>