Why Does Folder Open on Log In?

July 18, 2005 12:09:48 AM

Everytime I log on to Windows XP, it opens a File and I have to close
the Window. There is nothing in my start up menu and this isn't even
a program that runs, just a folder with some files. I have right
clicked and tried dolder options but there is nothing to make this
stop opening on log on. How can I get Windows XP to stop opening this
folder everytime I log on?

More about : folder open log

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 12:29:19 AM

Is it a FOLDER or a FILE? You mentioned both.

Is it the My Documents folder?

If yes,

line 255 right column

If no, then what is the name of the folder (or file)?

"WillyG" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Every time I log on to Windows XP, it opens a File and I have to close
> the Window. There is nothing in my start up menu and this isn't even
> a program that runs, just a folder with some files. I have right
> clicked and tried folder options but there is nothing to make this
> stop opening on log on. How can I get Windows XP to stop opening this
> folder every time I log on?
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:14:02 PM

Sorry, it's a folder. The folder is ATI which is my video card
folder.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:29:19 -0700, "Michael T"
<anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Is it a FOLDER or a FILE? You mentioned both.
>
>Is it the My Documents folder?
>
>If yes,
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
>line 255 right column
>
>If no, then what is the name of the folder (or file)?
>
>"WillyG" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Every time I log on to Windows XP, it opens a File and I have to close
>> the Window. There is nothing in my start up menu and this isn't even
>> a program that runs, just a folder with some files. I have right
>> clicked and tried folder options but there is nothing to make this
>> stop opening on log on. How can I get Windows XP to stop opening this
>> folder every time I log on?

July 18, 2005 11:16:06 PM

Any problems indicated with your video card and/or driver in Device Manager
or Event Viewer.

Start > Run > devmgmt.msc > click OK

Start > Run > eventvwr.msc > click OK

> Sorry, it's a folder. The folder is ATI which is my video card
> folder.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:45:33 AM

Just checked, no problems. The folder it is opening is the root folder
to another folder ie c:/ati/support

The only thing in the ATI folder is the sub folder "support" and that
is only used to unzip the video driver files.

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 19:16:06 GMT, "Michael T"
<anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Any problems indicated with your video card and/or driver in Device Manager
>or Event Viewer.
>
>Start > Run > devmgmt.msc > click OK
>
>Start > Run > eventvwr.msc > click OK
>
>"WillyG" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Sorry, it's a folder. The folder is ATI which is my video card
>> folder.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:53:33 PM

I am not familiar with the ATI installer, but I did find the following post
about a problem similar to yours.

*****************
The folder c:/ati/support is the folder that the ATI installer unpacks the
files to before installing them (and also keeps them as reference for
modification/repair).

Sounds like, however your install appeared to go, something didn't complete.
Were the installs, in fact, completely successful? Try going to Add/Remove
Programs and run the ATI uninstall for everything but the display driver,
then when InstallShield boots, try running the Repair option.

If that doesn't work, uninstall everything and reinstall. This time, make
sure each stage has completed: you should allow it to get to the do you want
to reboot? option. Also, make sure you uninstall properly first, and follow
the ATI instructions for installation, with the proviso that, if your card
is an AIW or VIVO and you're installing the drivers separately, follow the
old order of capture driver, don't reboot, display driver, reboot, control
panel, reboot.

Oh, and delete that ATI folder after uninstalling if you have to reinstall.

Finally, if at some point you want to check for newer WinXP driver versions,
then enable cookies and go to:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=...

!