Sign in with
Your question

Beginners question about Video Converting.

Last response: in Windows 7
July 13, 2010 4:33:09 PM

Hello all,
I recently built a new system, cpu is i5 750 which i have OC'd to 3.8GHz.
I have a passion for watching movies, which i usually download from StageVu.com - average size of around 750MB. They all play fine - for being free.
I recently downloaded DivX, as a multimedia program for watching my films and i noticed it came with DivX Converter. I have bought the PRO version and i am experimenting with it.
I am a total noob at video converting and am looking for some advice on how its done. I am wondering if there is a way i can "upgrade" the quality of the movies to HD or similar. I have tried downloading a 1080p trailer and set divx to Plus HD and selected 1680x1050 resolution, by only upgrading the resolution i increaded the file like 10xs...it took like 30mins to convert and when it was done i noticed no differance apart from it played in full screen with no black lines.
Could someone tell me how/if you can upgrade the quality of a standard 750MB film to a HD or close standard using video convertion?

EDIT: by Upgrading i mean something similar to Youtubes system of being able to upgrade to quality from 360p,480p,720,1080p.
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2010 8:44:05 PM

To fit a full length movie in a 750MB file, the quality is reduced considerably, once reduced it can not be restored.
Get a digital camera image of around 2MB and reduce the image to get a file around 200KB, then increase it to make it 2MB again, you will not like the result.
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2010 8:58:30 PM

you are going to have to find higher quality videos.

as far as i know, youtube videos that are watchable are uploaded as 1080p, and then downgraded. i don't think it is possible to upgrade the quality from 360p or 480p all the way to 1080p without horrible results
!