Display Properties only has a themes tab

July 18, 2005 10:07:02 AM

I have a friend who can't set his screen saver. All he gets is a themes tab.
He did have some viruses, but he has cleaned them. I searched for this
problem in the newsgroups and we've tried everything they've suggested.
Downloaded the fix from Kelly's korner to restore all display tabs. Nothing
changed. Even after a reboot. Went into the registry and tried to edit they
keys manually, but under HKCU, the ...system key didn't even exist. I thought
may THAT was the problem, but then I checked my pc and I didn't have it
either. Then we checked HKLM and none of those variables were even set like
NoDisplayScrSav (That's probably not the correct name. I left the reference
paper I saved at home.) Is there anything else we can try? If we do a windows
repair, will that fix the problem? Are there any registry repair utilities?
Thanks
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 6:42:26 PM

Viruses and spyware work by adding code to files (a very simplistic
explanation). In order to identify and deal with threats Antivirus (and
AntiSpyware) need to have an up-to-date database of signatures of threats.
Anything more than a couple of days old is, for most intent and purposes,
useless.

Having identified a threat AntiVirus and AntiSpyware deal with the threat in
one 3 ways. The infected files is either deleted, disinfected or
quarantined. All these actions have the potential of making a file
ineffective.

I would suggest that, firstly, you ensure that AntiVirus and AntiSpyware is
totally up-to-date. Secondly run a scan for both virus and spyware for
threats. When that is completed you will, at least, know that all that cane
be done has been done.

If the inability of being able to set a screen saver is the only problem
then this, presumably, is no more than irksome. If other things are not
running properly the time has come to consider reformatting and
re-installing everything from scratch - but that is not something I would
recommend without a lot of thought and some advice.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"JustMe" <JustMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 36E2AE1-3773-41D6-8569-B23FA381180F@microsoft.com...
>I have a friend who can't set his screen saver. All he gets is a themes
>tab.
> He did have some viruses, but he has cleaned them. I searched for this
> problem in the newsgroups and we've tried everything they've suggested.
> Downloaded the fix from Kelly's korner to restore all display tabs.
> Nothing
> changed. Even after a reboot. Went into the registry and tried to edit
> they
> keys manually, but under HKCU, the ...system key didn't even exist. I
> thought
> may THAT was the problem, but then I checked my pc and I didn't have it
> either. Then we checked HKLM and none of those variables were even set
> like
> NoDisplayScrSav (That's probably not the correct name. I left the
> reference
> paper I saved at home.) Is there anything else we can try? If we do a
> windows
> repair, will that fix the problem? Are there any registry repair
> utilities?
> Thanks
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 10:56:35 PM

Hi,

Issue : Display Properties - Some of the tabs are missing

Start Regedit.exe and navigate these two locations:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

In the right-pane, delete the following values if found:

- NoDispAppearancePage
- NoThemesTab
- NoDispBackgroundPage
- NoDispScrSavPage
- NoDispSettingsPage

Note: You may have tried some of the steps above. But just double-check it
anyway.

If none of the above Policies are set (in both of the locations above), but
the display properties tabs are still missing except for the Themes tab, try
these commands from Start, Run dialog:

regsvr32 themeui
regsvr32 /i shell32

Restart Windows.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"JustMe" <JustMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 36E2AE1-3773-41D6-8569-B23FA381180F@microsoft.com...
>I have a friend who can't set his screen saver. All he gets is a themes
>tab.
> He did have some viruses, but he has cleaned them. I searched for this
> problem in the newsgroups and we've tried everything they've suggested.
> Downloaded the fix from Kelly's korner to restore all display tabs.
> Nothing
> changed. Even after a reboot. Went into the registry and tried to edit
> they
> keys manually, but under HKCU, the ...system key didn't even exist. I
> thought
> may THAT was the problem, but then I checked my pc and I didn't have it
> either. Then we checked HKLM and none of those variables were even set
> like
> NoDisplayScrSav (That's probably not the correct name. I left the
> reference
> paper I saved at home.) Is there anything else we can try? If we do a
> windows
> repair, will that fix the problem? Are there any registry repair
> utilities?
> Thanks
Related resources
July 19, 2005 9:29:02 AM

Just wanted to say thanks. The commands you gave us worked.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:07:09 PM

Excellent. Thanks for posting back!

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> Just wanted to say thanks. The commands you gave us worked.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Issue : Display Properties - Some of the tabs are missing
>>
>> Start Regedit.exe and navigate these two locations:
>>
>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
>>
>> In the right-pane, delete the following values if found:
>>
>> - NoDispAppearancePage
>> - NoThemesTab
>> - NoDispBackgroundPage
>> - NoDispScrSavPage
>> - NoDispSettingsPage
>>
>> Note: You may have tried some of the steps above. But just double-check
>> it
>> anyway.
>>
>> If none of the above Policies are set (in both of the locations above),
>> but
>> the display properties tabs are still missing except for the Themes tab,
>> try
>> these commands from Start, Run dialog:
>>
>> regsvr32 themeui
>> regsvr32 /i shell32
>>
>> Restart Windows.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "JustMe" <JustMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 36E2AE1-3773-41D6-8569-B23FA381180F@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a friend who can't set his screen saver. All he gets is a themes
>> >tab.
>> > He did have some viruses, but he has cleaned them. I searched for this
>> > problem in the newsgroups and we've tried everything they've suggested.
>> > Downloaded the fix from Kelly's korner to restore all display tabs.
>> > Nothing
>> > changed. Even after a reboot. Went into the registry and tried to edit
>> > they
>> > keys manually, but under HKCU, the ...system key didn't even exist. I
>> > thought
>> > may THAT was the problem, but then I checked my pc and I didn't have it
>> > either. Then we checked HKLM and none of those variables were even set
>> > like
>> > NoDisplayScrSav (That's probably not the correct name. I left the
>> > reference
>> > paper I saved at home.) Is there anything else we can try? If we do a
>> > windows
>> > repair, will that fix the problem? Are there any registry repair
>> > utilities?
>> > Thanks

June 1, 2009 6:31:39 PM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! i was looking from month forward to find a fix to this problem the dll register commands you suggested works great!
!