Using i90c as a modem for a laptop

I've searched this forum up and down, back to the middle of last year,
and I have yet to see detailed instructions on how to use Nextel
phones to establish a dial-up connection to the internet with a
laptop. Does anyone know how to do this? I have an i90c, a serial
data cable, and the full service wireless web package. I have an ISP
that I want to connect to, so I won't be using Nextel's ISP service.
All I want to do is have a last-resort internet connection when I
don't have access any other way. I know the connection will be slow.
Thanks for any help I get in advance, including pointing me to a
website where this information would be available.
10 answers Last reply
More about using i90c modem laptop
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    http://idenphonescontactus.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/idenphonescontactus.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=940&&p_sid=FV55lH9h&p_lva=3116&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTE0JnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9bW9kZW0gY29ubmVjdCZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0yMyZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

    <Catdaddy> wrote in message
    > I've searched this forum up and down, back to the middle of last year,
    > and I have yet to see detailed instructions on how to use Nextel
    > phones to establish a dial-up connection to the internet with a
    > laptop. Does anyone know how to do this? I have an i90c, a serial
    > data cable, and the full service wireless web package. I have an ISP
    > that I want to connect to, so I won't be using Nextel's ISP service.
    > All I want to do is have a last-resort internet connection when I
    > don't have access any other way. I know the connection will be slow.
    > Thanks for any help I get in advance, including pointing me to a
    > website where this information would be available.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    I was able to use my i90c last year to do just what you are asking for,
    however the best connection speed I could get was 9600kbs and it uses your
    wireless minutes. I recently switched to ATT EDGE service and I'm getting
    200kbs down and 80kbs up with no wireless mins being used.

    <Catdaddy> wrote in message
    > I've searched this forum up and down, back to the middle of last year,
    > and I have yet to see detailed instructions on how to use Nextel
    > phones to establish a dial-up connection to the internet with a
    > laptop. Does anyone know how to do this? I have an i90c, a serial
    > data cable, and the full service wireless web package. I have an ISP
    > that I want to connect to, so I won't be using Nextel's ISP service.
    > All I want to do is have a last-resort internet connection when I
    > don't have access any other way. I know the connection will be slow.
    > Thanks for any help I get in advance, including pointing me to a
    > website where this information would be available.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    Wirelessjuan - thanks for the info. However, I happen to like my
    Nextel service, and this would just be used for last resort
    applications.

    I've got my computer and my phone properly configured, but it doesn't
    want to dial out. There is dial up softwae that Nextel offers, but
    it's not for XP. Is there dial up software for XP? I think what's
    happening with my setup is that it's trying to connect via the IP
    through the phone, and it's not dialing up. Thanks for the help!

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:05:24 GMT, "Wirelessjuan" <fda104@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >I was able to use my i90c last year to do just what you are asking for,
    >however the best connection speed I could get was 9600kbs and it uses your
    >wireless minutes. I recently switched to ATT EDGE service and I'm getting
    >200kbs down and 80kbs up with no wireless mins being used.
    >
    ><Catdaddy> wrote in message
    >> I've searched this forum up and down, back to the middle of last year,
    >> and I have yet to see detailed instructions on how to use Nextel
    >> phones to establish a dial-up connection to the internet with a
    >> laptop. Does anyone know how to do this? I have an i90c, a serial
    >> data cable, and the full service wireless web package. I have an ISP
    >> that I want to connect to, so I won't be using Nextel's ISP service.
    >> All I want to do is have a last-resort internet connection when I
    >> don't have access any other way. I know the connection will be slow.
    >> Thanks for any help I get in advance, including pointing me to a
    >> website where this information would be available.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    Yea there is software for dial up service for XP. I'm running XP home and
    was able to connect with that configuration. I'll search and see if I can
    post a link for you. I do not remember where I downloaded it from
    orignially.

    <Catdaddy> wrote in message
    > Wirelessjuan - thanks for the info. However, I happen to like my
    > Nextel service, and this would just be used for last resort
    > applications.
    >
    > I've got my computer and my phone properly configured, but it doesn't
    > want to dial out. There is dial up softwae that Nextel offers, but
    > it's not for XP. Is there dial up software for XP? I think what's
    > happening with my setup is that it's trying to connect via the IP
    > through the phone, and it's not dialing up. Thanks for the help!
    >
    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:05:24 GMT, "Wirelessjuan" <fda104@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I was able to use my i90c last year to do just what you are asking for,
    >>however the best connection speed I could get was 9600kbs and it uses your
    >>wireless minutes. I recently switched to ATT EDGE service and I'm getting
    >>200kbs down and 80kbs up with no wireless mins being used.
    >>
    >><Catdaddy> wrote in message
    >>> I've searched this forum up and down, back to the middle of last year,
    >>> and I have yet to see detailed instructions on how to use Nextel
    >>> phones to establish a dial-up connection to the internet with a
    >>> laptop. Does anyone know how to do this? I have an i90c, a serial
    >>> data cable, and the full service wireless web package. I have an ISP
    >>> that I want to connect to, so I won't be using Nextel's ISP service.
    >>> All I want to do is have a last-resort internet connection when I
    >>> don't have access any other way. I know the connection will be slow.
    >>> Thanks for any help I get in advance, including pointing me to a
    >>> website where this information would be available.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    Ok here you go:

    http://idenphones.motorola.com/iden/support/software/usbistallation.jsp

    This is Motorola's official site for the USB driver it will work with XP if
    you get the compatiblity signature warning when installing just click
    continue with install.

    Once you have it installed you will need to go into Internet Explore and
    create a new dial up connection using the USB Modem as your dial up device
    and you should be done. You might want to create a shortcut on the Desktop.

    The software should automatically set up the USB Modem but if not go to your
    control pannel and select Phone and Modem Options and 'add' the USB modem.

    "Wirelessjuan" <fda104@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Yea there is software for dial up service for XP. I'm running XP home and
    > was able to connect with that configuration. I'll search and see if I can
    > post a link for you. I do not remember where I downloaded it from
    > orignially.
    >
    > <Catdaddy> wrote in message
    >> Wirelessjuan - thanks for the info. However, I happen to like my
    >> Nextel service, and this would just be used for last resort
    >> applications.
    >>
    >> I've got my computer and my phone properly configured, but it doesn't
    >> want to dial out. There is dial up softwae that Nextel offers, but
    >> it's not for XP. Is there dial up software for XP? I think what's
    >> happening with my setup is that it's trying to connect via the IP
    >> through the phone, and it's not dialing up. Thanks for the help!
    >>
    >> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:05:24 GMT, "Wirelessjuan" <fda104@yahoo.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I was able to use my i90c last year to do just what you are asking for,
    >>>however the best connection speed I could get was 9600kbs and it uses
    >>>your
    >>>wireless minutes. I recently switched to ATT EDGE service and I'm
    >>>getting
    >>>200kbs down and 80kbs up with no wireless mins being used.
    >>>
    >>><Catdaddy> wrote in message

  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    http://www.nextel.com/services/nextelonline/dialupservice.shtml

    "Wirelessjuan" <fda104@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Yea there is software for dial up service for XP. I'm running XP home and
    > was able to connect with that configuration. I'll search and see if I can
    > post a link for you. I do not remember where I downloaded it from
    > orignially.
    >
    > <Catdaddy> wrote in message
    > > Wirelessjuan - thanks for the info. However, I happen to like my
    > > Nextel service, and this would just be used for last resort
    > > applications.
    > >
    > > I've got my computer and my phone properly configured, but it doesn't
    > > want to dial out. There is dial up softwae that Nextel offers, but
    > > it's not for XP. Is there dial up software for XP? I think what's
    > > happening with my setup is that it's trying to connect via the IP
    > > through the phone, and it's not dialing up. Thanks for the help!
    > >
    > > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:05:24 GMT, "Wirelessjuan" <fda104@yahoo.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>I was able to use my i90c last year to do just what you are asking for,
    > >>however the best connection speed I could get was 9600kbs and it uses
    your
    > >>wireless minutes. I recently switched to ATT EDGE service and I'm
    getting
    > >>200kbs down and 80kbs up with no wireless mins being used.
    > >>
    > >><Catdaddy> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    Thanks, Offri, but that's the software I can't use. It's only good up
    to Windows 2000, and I have XP.

    Wirelessjuan - thanks for the link. I've been trying to avoid buying
    a USB data cable, but I might have to now. I've been trying to get by
    with my serial cable!!

    Thanks again!
    Catdaddy

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:35:51 +0300, "Offri" <offri@nomail.com> wrote:

    >http://www.nextel.com/services/nextelonline/dialupservice.shtml
    >
    >"Wirelessjuan" <fda104@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Yea there is software for dial up service for XP. I'm running XP home and
    >> was able to connect with that configuration. I'll search and see if I can
    >> post a link for you. I do not remember where I downloaded it from
    >> orignially.
    >>
    >> <Catdaddy> wrote in message
    >> > Wirelessjuan - thanks for the info. However, I happen to like my
    >> > Nextel service, and this would just be used for last resort
    >> > applications.
    >> >
    >> > I've got my computer and my phone properly configured, but it doesn't
    >> > want to dial out. There is dial up softwae that Nextel offers, but
    >> > it's not for XP. Is there dial up software for XP? I think what's
    >> > happening with my setup is that it's trying to connect via the IP
    >> > through the phone, and it's not dialing up. Thanks for the help!

    >your
    >getting

  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    here is the modem inf file that I am using for the i305 with serial cable,
    it should work for you.

    http://idenphones.motorola.com/iden/support/software/modemdriver.jsp

    <Catdaddy> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Offri, but that's the software I can't use. It's only good up
    > to Windows 2000, and I have XP.
    >
    > Wirelessjuan - thanks for the link. I've been trying to avoid buying
    > a USB data cable, but I might have to now. I've been trying to get by
    > with my serial cable!!
    >
    > Thanks again!
    > Catdaddy
    >
    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:35:51 +0300, "Offri" <offri@nomail.com> wrote:
    >

    > >http://www.nextel.com/services/nextelonline/dialupservice.shtml
    > >
    > >"Wirelessjuan" <fda104@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> Yea there is software for dial up service for XP. I'm running XP home
    and
    > >> was able to connect with that configuration. I'll search and see if I
    can
    > >> post a link for you. I do not remember where I downloaded it from
    > >> orignially.
    > >>
    > >> <Catdaddy> wrote in message

    > >your
    > >getting

    ISP

  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    Querty - thanks for the link. excuse my ignorance, but where should I
    put this .inf file? Or should I right click on it and install it that
    way? It didn't come with an installation program. Thanks in advance.

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:27:52 GMT, "qwerty" <qwerty@qwerty.com> wrote:

    >here is the modem inf file that I am using for the i305 with serial cable,
    >it should work for you.
    >
    >http://idenphones.motorola.com/iden/support/software/modemdriver.jsp
    >

    ><Catdaddy> wrote in message
    >> Thanks, Offri, but that's the software I can't use. It's only good up
    >> to Windows 2000, and I have XP.
    >>
    >> Wirelessjuan - thanks for the link. I've been trying to avoid buying
    >> a USB data cable, but I might have to now. I've been trying to get by
    >> with my serial cable!!
    >>
    >> Thanks again!
    >> Catdaddy
    >>
    >> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:35:51 +0300, "Offri" <offri@nomail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >> >http://www.nextel.com/services/nextelonline/dialupservice.shtml
    >> >
    >> >"Wirelessjuan" <fda104@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >and
    >can

    >for,
    >> >your
    >> >getting

    >year,
    >ISP
    >service.
    >slow.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    I have tried setting this up with an i730.
    Everytime I dial the computer tells me no dialtone. Is this a service you
    have to pay extra for?

Nextel Internet Service Providers