How to remove winamp completely?

July 18, 2005 11:52:04 AM

I uninstalled winamp but when I right click menu bar still has these options:

Enqueue in Winamp
Add to Winamp's bookmark

How do I remove them from my menu?

Thanks.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:34:50 AM

The WinAmp related menu items would be available under here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

Open Regedit.exe and navigate to the above location. Select the WinAmp.*
entries and remove them.

Close Regedit.

Manage the context-menu entries for files, folders, drives and Namespace
objects:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm

The entries are added at the file-class level.also. For example, to
re-associate the .mp3 files with WMP (which removes the WinAmp from the
right-click menu), run this command:

cmd /c assoc .mp3=mp3file

(Type this command in Start, Run dialog)

To learn more about ASSOC command, type "cmd /k assoc /?" in Run.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I uninstalled winamp but when I right click menu bar still has these
>
> Enqueue in Winamp
> Add to Winamp's bookmark
>
> How do I remove them from my menu?
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:34:51 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I went to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

But found nothing on winamp there. Do you know exactly where I can go to
delete winamp stuff on my menu?

Thanks again.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> The WinAmp related menu items would be available under here:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
>
> Open Regedit.exe and navigate to the above location. Select the WinAmp.*
> entries and remove them.
>
> Close Regedit.
>
> Manage the context-menu entries for files, folders, drives and Namespace
> objects:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm
>
> The entries are added at the file-class level.also. For example, to
> re-associate the .mp3 files with WMP (which removes the WinAmp from the
> right-click menu), run this command:
>
> cmd /c assoc .mp3=mp3file
>
> (Type this command in Start, Run dialog)
>
> To learn more about ASSOC command, type "cmd /k assoc /?" in Run.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I uninstalled winamp but when I right click menu bar still has these
> >
> > Enqueue in Winamp
> > Add to Winamp's bookmark
> >
> > How do I remove them from my menu?
> >
> > Thanks.

July 19, 2005 2:19:10 PM

For which file-types the Winamp entries appear in the context-menu?

--

news:D C475709-9821-4CB1-B9F3-EEBF8E89DEB8@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I went to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
>
> But found nothing on winamp there. Do you know exactly where I can go to
> delete winamp stuff on my menu?
>
> Thanks again.
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> The WinAmp related menu items would be available under here:
>>
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
>>
>> Open Regedit.exe and navigate to the above location. Select the WinAmp.*
>> entries and remove them.
>>
>> Close Regedit.
>>
>> Manage the context-menu entries for files, folders, drives and Namespace
>> objects:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm
>>
>> The entries are added at the file-class level.also. For example, to
>> re-associate the .mp3 files with WMP (which removes the WinAmp from the
>> right-click menu), run this command:
>>
>> cmd /c assoc .mp3=mp3file
>>
>> (Type this command in Start, Run dialog)
>>
>> To learn more about ASSOC command, type "cmd /k assoc /?" in Run.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I uninstalled winamp but when I right click menu bar still has these
>> >
>> > Enqueue in Winamp
>> > Add to Winamp's bookmark
>> >
>> > How do I remove them from my menu?
>> >
>> > Thanks.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 2:19:11 PM

wmv and avi

I get the menu when I right click the files above.

Enqueue in Winamp
Add to Winamp's bookmark

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> For which file-types the Winamp entries appear in the context-menu?
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D C475709-9821-4CB1-B9F3-EEBF8E89DEB8@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > I went to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
> >
> > But found nothing on winamp there. Do you know exactly where I can go to
> > delete winamp stuff on my menu?
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >

> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> The WinAmp related menu items would be available under here:
> >>
> >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
> >>
> >> Open Regedit.exe and navigate to the above location. Select the WinAmp.*
> >> entries and remove them.
> >>
> >> Close Regedit.
> >>
> >> Manage the context-menu entries for files, folders, drives and Namespace
> >> objects:
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm
> >>
> >> The entries are added at the file-class level.also. For example, to
> >> re-associate the .mp3 files with WMP (which removes the WinAmp from the
> >> right-click menu), run this command:
> >>
> >> cmd /c assoc .mp3=mp3file
> >>
> >> (Type this command in Start, Run dialog)
> >>
> >> To learn more about ASSOC command, type "cmd /k assoc /?" in Run.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 9:01:17 PM

For WMV, the two options can come from any of these locations (and from
other areas):

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.wmv\shell\

The above assumes that .WMV's ProgID is WMVFile. You can verify it by typing
this in Start, Run:

cmd /k assoc .wmv

If the output is anything other than "WMVFile", then post back.

--

> wmv and avi
>
> I get the menu when I right click the files above.
>
> Enqueue in Winamp
> Add to Winamp's bookmark
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> For which file-types the Winamp entries appear in the context-menu?
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D C475709-9821-4CB1-B9F3-EEBF8E89DEB8@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Thanks for your reply.
>> >
>> > I went to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
>> >
>> > But found nothing on winamp there. Do you know exactly where I can go
>> > delete winamp stuff on my menu?
>> >
>> > Thanks again.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 9:01:18 PM

..wmv=Winamp3.File

Do I delete all of them?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> For WMV, the two options can come from any of these locations (and from
> other areas):
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.wmv\shell\
>
> The above assumes that .WMV's ProgID is WMVFile. You can verify it by typing
> this in Start, Run:
>
> cmd /k assoc .wmv
>
> If the output is anything other than "WMVFile", then post back.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > wmv and avi
> >
> > I get the menu when I right click the files above.
> >
> > Enqueue in Winamp
> > Add to Winamp's bookmark
> >

> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> For which file-types the Winamp entries appear in the context-menu?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D C475709-9821-4CB1-B9F3-EEBF8E89DEB8@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 9:01:18 PM

I found three files:

Winamp3.File
Winamp3.Playlist
Winamp3.SkinZip

Should I delete all of them?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> For WMV, the two options can come from any of these locations (and from
> other areas):
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.wmv\shell\
>
> The above assumes that .WMV's ProgID is WMVFile. You can verify it by typing
> this in Start, Run:
>
> cmd /k assoc .wmv
>
> If the output is anything other than "WMVFile", then post back.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > wmv and avi
> >
> > I get the menu when I right click the files above.
> >
> > Enqueue in Winamp
> > Add to Winamp's bookmark
> >

> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> For which file-types the Winamp entries appear in the context-menu?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D C475709-9821-4CB1-B9F3-EEBF8E89DEB8@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:18:36 PM

Type in Start/Run:

cmd /k assoc .wmv=wmvfile

Associates .WMV with WMP, and thereby removes the Winamp menus. Delete
"Winamp3.File" later.

--

> .wmv=Winamp3.File
>
> Do I delete all of them?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> For WMV, the two options can come from any of these locations (and from
>> other areas):
>>
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.wmv\shell\
>>
>> The above assumes that .WMV's ProgID is WMVFile. You can verify it by
>> typing
>> this in Start, Run:
>>
>> cmd /k assoc .wmv
>>
>> If the output is anything other than "WMVFile", then post back.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > wmv and avi
>> >
>> > I get the menu when I right click the files above.
>> >
>> > Enqueue in Winamp
>> > Add to Winamp's bookmark

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:18:37 PM

Its all good now thanks!!!!

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Type in Start/Run:
>
> cmd /k assoc .wmv=wmvfile
>
> Associates .WMV with WMP, and thereby removes the Winamp menus. Delete
> "Winamp3.File" later.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > .wmv=Winamp3.File
> >
> > Do I delete all of them?
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> For WMV, the two options can come from any of these locations (and from
> >> other areas):
> >>
> >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\
> >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.wmv\shell\
> >>
> >> The above assumes that .WMV's ProgID is WMVFile. You can verify it by
> >> typing
> >> this in Start, Run:
> >>
> >> cmd /k assoc .wmv
> >>
> >> If the output is anything other than "WMVFile", then post back.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

June 4, 2009 12:04:48 PM

Rather than rooting around in the registry, especially if you dont know what you're doing, i'd recommend a registry cleaner such as Ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com) ... its very useful, cleans up your system, and removes such things like the winamp shell extensions once you've uninstalled winamp. this is all automatically done by the program, so no need for any registry knowledge!
!