wuauclt.exe corrupted

For some reason my windows update (wuauclt.exe) file has decided to run 24
hours a day. This means that it is using 99% of my computer resources. I have
run virus and spyware and nothing, I have deleted the file that seems to be
causing the problem, but it always comes back on restart. I have done online
chat with e-machines twice now and don't have any idea what I am talking
about it seems. I have also disabled my updates and done a system restore to
see if that would help but it doesn't. Does anybody have any idea of how to
fix this problem? I'm pretty sure it can be done besides for a full restore.
My computer runs soo slow I don't want to deal with it anymore!!!!!
2 answers Last reply
More about wuauclt corrupted

    The slowness might not be caused by wuauclt.exe. BTW, in my system I've
    turned Off AU options (but the AU Service is running), and so wuauclt.exe
    won't be running all the time.

    How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306525

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "punkin4675" <punkin4675@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > For some reason my windows update (wuauclt.exe) file has decided to run 24
    > hours a day. This means that it is using 99% of my computer resources. I
    > have
    > run virus and spyware and nothing, I have deleted the file that seems to
    > be
    > causing the problem, but it always comes back on restart. I have done
    > online
    > chat with e-machines twice now and don't have any idea what I am talking
    > about it seems. I have also disabled my updates and done a system restore
    > see if that would help but it doesn't. Does anybody have any idea of how
    > fix this problem? I'm pretty sure it can be done besides for a full
    > restore.
    > My computer runs soo slow I don't want to deal with it anymore!!!!!

    I know it is caused by wauaclt.exe b/c I go under task manager and under
    processes it shows wauaclt.exe using 99%, on the average.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > The slowness might not be caused by wuauclt.exe. BTW, in my system I've
    > turned Off AU options (but the AU Service is running), and so wuauclt.exe
    > won't be running all the time.
    >
    > How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306525
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "punkin4675" <punkin4675@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > For some reason my windows update (wuauclt.exe) file has decided to run 24
    > > hours a day. This means that it is using 99% of my computer resources. I
    > > have
    > > run virus and spyware and nothing, I have deleted the file that seems to
    > > be
    > > causing the problem, but it always comes back on restart. I have done
    > > online
    > > chat with e-machines twice now and don't have any idea what I am talking
    > > about it seems. I have also disabled my updates and done a system restore
    > > see if that would help but it doesn't. Does anybody have any idea of how
    > > fix this problem? I'm pretty sure it can be done besides for a full
    > > restore.
    > > My computer runs soo slow I don't want to deal with it anymore!!!!!

Windows XP