Media player 9/10

System running wxp sp2 with wmp10, could not install printer due to dll
issues, did repair using sp2 cd. Printer is now fine, however when clicking
on wmp icon, it starts setup of wmp9, fine, get error message that wmp not
installed properly, offers to install from microsoft site, click ok, get
error message that config utility has encountered a problem and needs to
close, send error report, select yes.
System then goes to wpm10 download site, click yes, file downloads, starts
setup,
get error message that it is not possible to complete setup wpm10 not
installed, run setup again...not sure where to go from here.

"frodo@theshire.org" wrote:

> download the full WMP 10 Setup file and run it.
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/download/download.aspx

I guess that I neglected to mention that I had already done this, but just
to make sure, I downloaded the 12.1mb file, double clicked it, setup starts,
get standard window screens, reaches 70% of total, then gives the error that
setup could not
finish and to re-run setup. It seems to me that I have a combo installation
of part of
wmp9 and part of 10 on the system. thanks for the reply, but still looking
for what to try next.

frodo

John Grden <JohnGrden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I downloaded the 12.1mb file, double clicked it, setup starts,
> get standard window screens, reaches 70% of total, then gives the error that
> setup could not
> finish and to re-run setup. It seems to me that I have a combo installation
> of part of
> wmp9 and part of 10 on the system. thanks for the reply, but still looking
> for what to try next.

Hum....

do a virus scan, and a spyware scan. make sure the machine is as "clean"
as possible.

go into add/remove programs, remove any/all media players that you can.
reboot. MAKE SURE NO ANTIVIRUS IS RUNNING, nor any other "unnecessary"
startup stuff. Leave internet connection off. Try the installer again.

scanned system for virus and adware/spyware, none found, shutdown anti virus
tried install, failed, shutdown system, boot into safe mode, rename wmp
directory, reboot, try install, got a bit farther, first time that the
progress bars went to 100%, followed by same error that setup cannot
continue, and to run it again, it did create a new wmp directory with a few
files in it