computer running painfully slow

My computer takes so much time to do anything. To boot up, get into my user
account, get into any file, it takes forever that it drives me mad.

have done a defrag, disk clean up, updated my antivirus, downloaded anti
spyware. short of throwing it out and buying a new one has anyone any
suggestions.

Smelly Shelly
3 answers Last reply
More about computer running painfully slow

    Shelly;
    Some of this you have already tried.
    But sometimes multiple tools are necessary especially if it is spyware..
    Make sure all tools have been updated in the last few days.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Shelly" <shelly.nugent@tesco.net> wrote in message
    > My computer takes so much time to do anything. To boot up, get into my
    > user account, get into any file, it takes forever that it drives me mad.
    >
    > have done a defrag, disk clean up, updated my antivirus, downloaded anti
    > spyware. short of throwing it out and buying a new one has anyone any
    > suggestions.
    >
    > Smelly Shelly

    You haven't told us about any particular event that might have caused your
    problem. Was your computer always slow, from day one?

    In general, slow performance is typically due to one or more of three
    causes:

    1. Viruses or spyware.
    2. Too many programs running at the same time.
    3. Underpowered hardware.

    It can take a lot of effort to identify viruses and spyware, often requiring
    scans by several (or many) different scanners.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Shelly" <shelly.nugent@tesco.net> wrote in message
    > My computer takes so much time to do anything. To boot up, get into my
    user
    > account, get into any file, it takes forever that it drives me mad.
    >
    > have done a defrag, disk clean up, updated my antivirus, downloaded anti
    > spyware. short of throwing it out and buying a new one has anyone any
    > suggestions.
    >
    > Smelly Shelly

    there is no particular event which i can think of that has caused this
    problem. the computer has just got progressivly slower over the months.

    i will try installing other anti spyware tools.

    your underpowered hardware suggestion is an interesting one. not heard of
    this before. tell me more.

Support Computers Microsoft Windows XP