Sign in with
Your question

Rollercoaster tycoon on 64 bit windows 7

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
July 13, 2010 5:36:55 PM

Hello,
I want to get my son Rollercoaster tycoon 3 but when I have given him older programs before they have refused to work on our windows 7 64bit machine. Will this one work in 64bit?

Thanks

More about : rollercoaster tycoon bit windows

a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2010 5:51:58 PM

i believe there is a demo out for Rollercoster Tycoon 3. Download and run it and see if it works with win 7 64-bit
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2010 9:25:43 PM

i would imagine it would work, i had Rollercoaster Tycoon (yes the original) installed not to long ago, though i would do what jefe323 said and get the demo to see if it works or not
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 13, 2010 10:39:14 PM

You can see the system requirements to play Rollercoaser Tycoon 3 here, http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/us/faq

It looks like XP is the recommended operating system. If the trial will not play in Windows 7, and you are running Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate you can try playing the game in XP Mode.

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows 7
m
l
July 14, 2010 12:36:32 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Windows XP Mode does not allow Direct3D acceleration, so that wouldn't solve the problem.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2010 1:51:04 PM

might have to go VirtualBox
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 14, 2010 3:14:02 PM

It works just fine. I have Windows 7 64-bit and I downloaded it through Steam and the game runs perfectly.

I don't remember if I had to set the game's compatibility mode to XP or not. You MIGHT have to do that if it doesn't work right out of the box. Either way, it does work and it works fine with 64-bit Windows 7 as my kids have been playing it for about 2 months now since I installed it.
m
l
July 15, 2010 12:14:30 PM

isamuelson said:
It works just fine. I have Windows 7 64-bit and I downloaded it through Steam and the game runs perfectly.

I don't remember if I had to set the game's compatibility mode to XP or not. You MIGHT have to do that if it doesn't work right out of the box. Either way, it does work and it works fine with 64-bit Windows 7 as my kids have been playing it for about 2 months now since I installed it.

I wonder if there is a patch that the OP is missing. Steam auto-updates everything, so depending on which version OP has, they may have to update it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 15, 2010 7:18:43 PM

I don't think the OP has installed it or purchased it yet. They were just wondering if it will work with Windows 7 64-bit since it states the required OS is XP.

Once he installs it, I would suggest getting any patches (if they exist) and applying them. After that, if it still doesn't work, then set the compatibility mode to XP.

I just know it works for us as my kids play it constantly! ;) 
m
l
July 17, 2010 9:14:20 AM

Thanks everyone. I've downloaded the demo and it runs fine so that is one birthday present out of the way :bounce: 
m
l
!