Will Windows 7 work if Vista did not?

kyleplum

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
I built a PC 13 months ago using Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I never got it to work at its full potential and about 6 months ago it began to freeze every time I opened any program. It worked in Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking, so I assumed it was not a hardware issue. I recently decided to try it out with Linux (Ubuntu) and so far it seems to be working well, but I would still rather have the perks of using a mainstream operating system.

So, if I purchase Windows 7 can I expect it to work like Ubuntu has or is there any serious risk that it might flop like Vista for me?Should I go 64 bit or 32 bit? I just want the more compatible version, after all this I don't need hardcore power, I just want a working, normal computer.

System:

AMD Phenom 955
XFX HD Radeon 4890
4 GB's DDR3 Ram

Hi Windows 7 should work on your system.

If you have problems it might come from faulty hardware or viruses (but you said it works well in Linux (Ubuntu) )

so that might not be a problem

about 6 months ago it began to freeze every time I opened any program

but it might be that Vista is just a bad written OS and it sucks.

That's where windows 7 is better.

Good luck and keep in touch if you get problems

kyleplum

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
That is what I was thinking. Do you know of a program (preferably free) that could test my hardware in Ubuntu. I found some diagnostic programs, but they made it seem like I needed Windows.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
By testing your hardware, I assume you mean checking compatibility with Win 7. Microsoft has a diagnostic tool, check their website.

Or by testing, if you mean checking each component to verify that it's running fine try programs like memtest (which checks the RAM)

kyleplum

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
I am literally using Memtest right now. 10% in. What should I use to test the other components, especially the CPU.

I started testing after my computer froze today in Ubuntu.

cassandraf_winteam

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hi kyleplum,

Yes, the Windows 7 diagnostic tool you are referring to is called the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and will only work if you have XP or Vista currently installed. If your computer meets these system requirements, you should be able to run Windows 7:

•1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
•1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
•16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
•DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

For more on system requirements, visit http://windows.microsoft.com/systemrequirements

As far as choosing between 32-bit and 64-bit, the general rule is if your computer has 4 GB of RAM or more, 64-bit is the way to go - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach